Iraq to reopen mission in BangladeshNovember 14th, 2007 - 1:54 am ICT by admin
Iraqi foreign minister Hoshyar Zebari in a letter to his Bangladesh’s counterpart expressed the interest to reopen the mission.
He wrote the letter in line with the government decision to open up an embassy in Dhaka, said an official of the foreign ministry.
“We will welcome and Iraqi embassy in Dhaka. This will go long way towards strengthening our friendly relations,” foreign affairs adviser of Bangladesh’s interim administration, Iftekhar Ahmed, told reporters.
In his letter dated September 11, 2007, the Iraqi minister wrote, “In recognition of Bangladesh’s esteemed support for Iraq , this decision has been taken.”
Bangladesh and Iraq had a good diplomatic relations as both the nations belong to Muslim world. Until mid of the latest Iraq war that began in 2001, Iraq had an Embassy to pursue the deposed dictator Saddam Hussein’s policy in Bangladesh.
The mission was shut down in 2003. Bangladesh’s foreign ministry was officially acknowledged this information on August 10. (ANI)
- Iraq's Al-Qaeda suicide bombers heading towards Afghanistan, Pak - May 28, 2010
- Al Qaeda facing suicide bombers' shortage - May 28, 2010
- Iraq warns of Syrian crisis' consequences - Jun 24, 2012
- Czech Republic may sell combat jets to Iraq - Apr 19, 2011
- 800 bodies found in Iraq mass grave - Apr 15, 2011
- UAE expresses concern over Egypt crisis - Feb 05, 2011
- 'Al Qaeda infiltrating Syria via Iraq' - Jul 05, 2012
- Saudi embassy official killed in Dhaka (Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- Qaeda planning suicide attacks across Europe, US during Christmas - Dec 16, 2010
- Saddam Hussein's secretary executed - Jun 07, 2012
- Keith Richards supported Tony Blair over Iraq invasion - Nov 05, 2010
- Iraq will be left to wolves if US withdraws: Saddam's aide - Aug 06, 2010
- Iraq frees Saddam Hussein's interior minister - Jul 10, 2012
- Bangladesh recognises NTC as Libya's interim authority - Oct 14, 2011
- Vice President Joe Biden Lands In Iraq To Commemorate End Of Combat Operations - Aug 31, 2010
Tags: affairs adviser, august 10, bangladesh, dhaka, dictator, diplomatic mission, diplomatic relations, foreign minister, foreign ministry, government decision, interim administration, iraq war, iraqi authorities, iraqi embassy, iraqi minister, keen interest, muslim world, reopen, saddam hussein