Iraq to disscuss Olympics issue with IOC: ReportJuly 27th, 2008 - 12:22 am ICT by IANS
Baghdad, July 26 (DPA) An Iraqi delegation will hold talks with the International Olympic Committee (IOC) in Switzerland over the weekend on sending athletes to the Beijing Olympics. The Aswat al-Iraq news agency reported Saturday that government spokesman Ali al-Dabbagh heads the delegation to meet with the IOC at its headquarters in Lausanne.
The IOC in June barred Iraq from the Aug 8-24 Games in Beijing after the nation’s government dissolved the national Olympic committee, terming this a serious political interference in the affairs of the country’s supposedly independent committee.
Demands from the IOC to revoke the decision were not met and the IOC said Thursday that the Iraqi government had also so far not responded positively to an IOC invitation to talk things over in Lausanne.
The IOC named it “very unlikely” that Iraq will have athletes at Beijing. Iraq plans to send at least five athletes to compete in archery, rowing, judo and weightlifting at the Olympics.
- Eight Iraqi athletes to go to London - Jul 15, 2012
- Iraq to help Libya in chemical weapons' disposal - Apr 13, 2012
- Thousands of Iraqis protest against foreign intervention - Sep 17, 2011
- Four Iraqis to compete in Beijing Olympics - Jul 31, 2008
- Iraqis demand end to American occupation - Apr 10, 2011
- 835 await execution in Iraqi prisons - Dec 14, 2010
- Iraqi sports group to sue IOC - Jul 26, 2008
- Iraq nominates oil expert as OPEC chief - Mar 06, 2012
- Albanian lifter banned from London for steroids - Jul 28, 2012
- Osama's death not a big loss for Al Qaeda: Iraqi expert - May 02, 2011
- Madagascar to send seven athletes to London Olympics - Jul 19, 2012
- 70,000 killed in Iraq between 2004-2011 - Feb 29, 2012
- Suicide bomber kills 45, injuries 150 at Iraqi recruiting center - Jan 18, 2011
- Tens of thousands protest in Baghdad to demand U.S. troops to leave - May 27, 2011
- Seven killed, 33 injured in three blasts in Iraq (Lead) - Sep 05, 2010
Tags: archery, aswat al iraq, baghdad, beijing olympics, dabbagh, disscuss, government spokesman, independent committee, international olympic committee, ioc, iraq news, iraqi delegation, iraqi government, judo, lausanne, national olympic committee, news agency, olympics, political interference, weightlifting