Iraq suicide blast toll rises to 33February 13th, 2011 - 10:01 pm ICT by IANS
Tikrit (Iraq), Feb 13 (IANS) The death toll in a suicide bomb attack on Shia pilgrims near the holy city of Samarra in northern Iraq rose to 33 Sunday, Xinhua reports.”Our latest report about Saturday’s suicide bomb attack on a bus carrying Shia pilgrims near Samarra, indicates that 33 people were killed and 27 wounded,” a police official said.
Officials put the toll at 28 killed and 22 wounded Saturday.
The attack took place Saturday afternoon when a suicide bomber detonated the explosives in a bus carrying Shia pilgrims near a checkpoint outside Samarra, one of the four holy cities in Iraq, some 110 km north of Baghdad.
The pilgrims were heading to the city to observe a religious ceremony that marks the death of Imam Hassan al-Askari at the Ali al-Hadi shrine, which is one of the most revered Shia shrines in Iraq.
- 12 killed in Iraq suicide attack - Feb 21, 2011
- 20 killed, 125 wounded in Iraq car bombing (Lead) - Jun 04, 2012
- Suicide bomber kills 53 in Iraq - Jan 15, 2012
- 50 killed in Iraq suicide bombing (Lead) - Jan 14, 2012
- 2 killed, 16 injured in attacks in Iraq - Nov 13, 2011
- Three die, 30 hurt in Iraq bombings - Dec 12, 2010
- 60 dead in attack on Iraqi Shias, bombings (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- 10 killed, 70 injured in bomb attacks in Iraq - Jul 16, 2011
- 32 killed, 68 injured in Baghdad car bombings (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- 10 killed, 30 injured in Iraq twin terror attack - Jul 28, 2011
- Anti-terror official killed in Iraq blast - Sep 07, 2012
- Suicide car bomb in Iraq kills three securitymen - Jun 06, 2011
- 96 dead in Yemen military parade bombing (Lead) - May 21, 2012
- 55 killed, 126 injured in Iraq attacks (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Five killed in Iraq violence - May 24, 2012
Tags: ali al hadi, checkpoint, death toll, explosives, hadi shrine, hassan al askari, holy cities, holy city, imam hassan, northern iraq, pilgrims, police official, religious ceremony, samarra, saturday afternoon, shrines, suicide bomb attack, suicide bomber, tikrit iraq, xinhua