Iraq shares concern over Syrian issue: Annan (Lead)July 11th, 2012 - 8:31 am ICT by IANS
Baghdad, July 11 (IANS) Iraq shares the concern over the Syrian crisis, UN-Arab League special envoy Kofi Annan has said, adding that Baghdad supports his six-point plan and its comprehensive implementation, Xinhua reported.
Annan, who arrived in Baghdad Tuesday on a blitz tour covering Syria and Iran, said here during a press conference that he met Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki and both sides agreed over sparing no efforts to stop killings for Syrians’ sake.
He said they also agreed on ensuring that the conflict in Syria should not spill over in its neighbourhood.
Annan said during his regional tour in Damascus, Tehran and Baghdad, he had the opportunity to discuss with leaders of the three nations on the need to get the Syrian people to the political dialogue.
The former UN chief is to brief the UNSC Wednesday on his three-nation trip.
Earlier, Iraqi prime minister expressed his country’s readiness to help in Syrian crisis following his meeting with Annan.
Maliki, in a statement issued by his office, confirmed his support for the UN envoy to find a solution to the prevailing crisis in Syria.
“Although the situation is difficult, we must make efforts to stop the killing and to find a political solution to achieve the legitimate goals of the Syrian people,” he said in the statement.
The Iraqi prime minister called on Syria’s neighbouring countries to take the highest degree of responsibility in dealing with the crisis situation and stressed upon the need to focus all efforts in stopping the killings and bloodshed.
He expressed the fear of growing extremism due to the escalating violence and murder, saying: “We must work to contain the fire and put them out instead of pouring oil on it.”
Maliki said any change that comes through dialogue would be helpful but called for stopping the foreign interventions, saying: “The Syrian people is the one who pays the price.”
- Iraq to help in solving Syrian crisis - Jul 11, 2012
- China, Russia to make joint efforts for Syria - May 11, 2012
- Russia supports Annan's mediation efforts on Syria : Putin - Jul 18, 2012
- Kofi Annan quits as UN-Arab League envoy - Aug 03, 2012
- Syrian president ready for honest effort to solve crisis - Mar 11, 2012
- UN chief working for peaceful solution in Syria - Jul 22, 2012
- Peace plan not implemented in Syria: Annan - Jun 08, 2012
- Russia urges new UN envoy to stick to Syria peace plan - Aug 18, 2012
- Syria on brink of civil conflict: Lavrov - Jun 10, 2012
- Russia says Annan's mission offers last chance to Syria - Mar 25, 2012
- Salehi warns against abrupt political change in Syria - Aug 10, 2012
- Kofi Annan to visit China - Mar 24, 2012
- Russia ready to back Annan proposals on Syria in UNSC - Mar 21, 2012
- Annan admits failure of Syrian peace mission - Jul 08, 2012
- UN monitors should be from neutral countries, like BRICS: Syria - Apr 22, 2012
Tags: arab league, bloodshed, crisis situation, damascus, interventions, killings, kofi annan, legitimate goals, neighbourhood, neighbouring countries, nouri al maliki, political dialogue, political solution, prime minister nouri al maliki, regional tour, six point, syria and iran, syrians, unsc, xinhua