Iraq sends security forces to Syrian borderNovember 1st, 2008 - 10:03 pm ICT by IANS
Ramadi (Iraq), Nov 1 (Xinhua) Iraq Saturday sent security forces to the Syrian border to prevent Al Qaeda militants from entering into the country, a provincial security source said. “Dozens of Iraqi police quick reaction vehicles moved early in the morning to the area near the town of al-Qaim, some 350 km northwest of Baghdad,” the source told Xinhua on condition of anonymity.
The source said the move came after a meeting held Friday between the commander of US troops in Anbar province, Iraqi Interior Minister Jawad al-Bolani and Major General Tariq al-Assal, police chief of the province in western Iraq.
Last Sunday, Syria’s official media reported that American helicopter-borne troops launched an assault on a building in a Syrian village along the border with Iraq, killing eight civilians.
A US official said the raid on the village was designed to kill Al Qaeda militants, pointing out that among those believed killed was Abu Ghadiya, “one of the most prominent foreign fighter facilitators in the region”.
US and Iraqi officials frequently accuse neighbouring Syria of allowing insurgents to use its territories as a base for sending fighters and weapons to conduct attacks inside Iraq.
- Iraq closes border crossing point with Syria - Aug 23, 2012
- Qaeda planning suicide attacks across Europe, US during Christmas - Dec 16, 2010
- 39 Al Qaeda militants captured in Iraq - Dec 02, 2010
- Seven killed in Iraq bomb blasts - Aug 04, 2011
- Gunmen kill tribal leader, woman official in Iraq - Feb 16, 2011
- Five killed in Iraq violence - May 24, 2012
- Eight killed in separate attacks in Iraq - Apr 20, 2010
- Iraq official survives bomb attack - Apr 22, 2012
- 25 killed, over 170 wounded in Iraq attacks - Mar 20, 2012
- Relatives Iraqi war victims to raise judicial case against former President Bush - Jun 17, 2011
- 'Al Qaeda infiltrating Syria via Iraq' - Jul 05, 2012
- Iraq boosts police presence on Syrian border - Nov 03, 2008
- Suicide bomber kills seven in Iraq - Jul 15, 2009
- Eight killed in Iraqi car bombings - Oct 11, 2009
- Iraqi troops launch major offensive against Al Qaeda - Apr 26, 2010