Iraq condemns Iranian shelling in its territoryMay 5th, 2009 - 10:26 pm ICT by IANS
Baghdad, May 5 (Xinhua) Iraq has strongly condemned the shelling of villages in the northern Kurdistan region by Iran, the foreign ministry said Tuesday.
The ministry has summoned the Iranian ambassador here to register its protests against the Iranian action, a statement said.
Iran’s envoy to Baghdad Hassan Kazemi Qomi Monday received a letter of protest over Iran’s aircraft and artillery bombardment that damaged properties and wounded many people in the area.
The government has urged Tehran to immediately halt the attacks in the border villages, the statement said, adding that such provocative actions will have “negative impact on the relations between the two countries”.
Iraq understands the motives of the Iranian action on the border (referring to the Kurdish rebels occupying the border areas between the two countries) but Baghdad has emphasised repeatedly that it should not be a unilateral action, the statement added.
Iranian security forces frequently shell areas near the Iran-Iraq border to eliminate Kurdish rebels who uses the Iraqi territory to launch attacks against Iranian authorities.
- US names Al Qaeda-linked outfit as terrorist entity - Jan 06, 2012
- Turkish jets bomb targets in northern Iraq - Jun 21, 2010
- Iranian military shells rebel positions in northern Iraq - May 13, 2008
- Thousands of Iraqis protest against foreign intervention - Sep 17, 2011
- 9,000 Syrian refugees reach Iraq - Jul 22, 2012
- Turkey launches military operations in northern Iraq - Oct 21, 2011
- Smugglers in Iraq Blunt Sanctions Against Tehran - Jul 09, 2010
- U.S. teacher shot dead by student in Iraq - Mar 03, 2012
- Interpol red corner notice against fugitive Iraqi vice president - May 08, 2012
- Twelve dead in two bomb blasts in northern Iraq - Apr 29, 2011
- 6 killed, 10 wounded in Iraq attacks - Apr 16, 2012
- Iranian artillery shells Kurdish rebels in northern Iraq - Mar 13, 2008
- American teacher killed in Iraq school - Mar 01, 2012
- CIA spy arrested in Iran? - Dec 17, 2011
- Libyan air strike on Benghazi kills 26 - Mar 19, 2011
Tags: artillery bombardment, baghdad, border areas, border villages, foreign ministry, hassan kazemi qomi, iranian ambassador, iranian authorities, iranian security forces, iraq border, iraqi territory, kurdish rebels, kurdistan, kurdistan region, motives, negative impact, provocative actions, tehran, unilateral action, xinhua