Iraq closes border crossing point with SyriaAugust 23rd, 2012 - 8:34 am ICT by IANS
Baghdad, Aug 23 (IANS) Iraq Wednesday closed a major border checkpoint with Syria in the country’s Anbar province, said an Iraqi Border Police source.
Iraq closed the Al-Qaim border checkpoint early Wednesday with a three-metre concrete wall blocking the entry while forces of the Syrian opposition still hold control of the other side of the checkpoint,” Xinhua quoted the source as saying.
The source did not specify the reason of closing the checkpoint and when it would be re-opened.
Syria has been wrecked by violence since March 2011 when the anti-government protests broke out.
The Iraqi-Syrian border measures about 600 km.
- 9,000 Syrian refugees reach Iraq - Jul 22, 2012
- Turkey closes borders with Syria - Jul 25, 2012
- Five killed in Iraq violence - May 24, 2012
- Gunmen kill tribal leader, woman official in Iraq - Feb 16, 2011
- Iraq shares concern over Syrian issue: Annan (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Seven killed in Iraq bomb blasts - Aug 04, 2011
- Iraq warns of Syrian crisis' consequences - Jun 24, 2012
- Four killed, three injured in attacks in Iraq - Oct 21, 2009
- Iraq sends security forces to Syrian border - Nov 01, 2008
- Iraq moves against transiting arms to Syria: US - Jul 24, 2012
- Two soldiers killed in Iraq violence - Aug 13, 2010
- Suicide bomber kills Iraqi policeman, injures eight - Nov 22, 2009
- 27 policemen killed in Iraq attacks - Mar 05, 2012
- Iraq executes five over terrorism - Aug 29, 2012
- Iraq starts construction of security wall around Baghdad - May 04, 2010