Iraq car bomb explosion kills 18August 9th, 2008 - 2:32 am ICT by IANS
Mosul (Iraq), Aug 9 (Xinhua) At least 18 people were killed and 20 wounded Friday in a car bomb explosion in Iraq’s northern province of Nineveh, the police said. The blast occured in a market in Tal Afar town, some 70 km west of the provincial capital of Mosul, a police official said on condition of anonymity.
The Nineveh province, some 400 km north of Baghdad, is considered to be one of the last strongholds of the Al Qaeda fighters in Iraq.
Of late, the province has been the scene of a major security crackdown by the US and Iraqi security forces against Al Qaeda militants and other insurgent groups.
- 6 killed in Iraq violence - Aug 25, 2012
- Gunmen kill tribal leader, woman official in Iraq - Feb 16, 2011
- Four killed in Iraq violence - Jul 19, 2011
- Seven killed in Iraq violence - Aug 08, 2012
- Two soldiers killed in Iraq violence - Aug 13, 2010
- 2 killed, 16 injured in attacks in Iraq - Nov 13, 2011
- Nine soldiers killed in Iraq - Sep 15, 2010
- Four die in Iraq clashes between protesters and security (Lead) - Feb 25, 2011
- At least 11 killed in Iraq suicide car bombing - Nov 15, 2008
- 10 killed in Iraq bombing - Nov 03, 2011
- Six killed in Iraq attacks - Jan 23, 2012
- Seven killed in Iraq violence - Jul 31, 2010
- Eight killed in Iraq violence - Aug 16, 2011
- Two killed in Iraq car bombing - Apr 05, 2010
- Seven killed in Iraq attacks - Aug 06, 2012
Tags: al qaeda, al qaeda militants, anonymity, baghdad, car bomb explosion, iraqi security, mosul iraq, nineveh province, northern province, occured, other insurgent groups, police official, provincial capital, security crackdown, security forces, strongholds, xinhua