Iraq arrests suspects in Kirkuk restaurant bombingDecember 24th, 2008 - 5:02 am ICT by IANS
Baghdad, Dec 24 (DPA) Iraqi police Tuesday arrested suspected perpetrators of a restaurant bomb attack in Kirkuk that left 45 dead and 85 injured including many women and children.The attack took place earlier in December in a restaurant during the Muslim feast of sacrifice, Eid al-Adha, earlier in December, and was the work of a suicide bomber, police said at the time.
Kurdish security forces with the help of US forces arrested members of an Islamist extremist group, that claimed responsibility for the attack.
Police also confiscated 250 kg of TNT and bombs.
A security source in Kirkuk denied the involvement by Kurds or Turkmans in the attack. Rumors of Kurdish and Turkman involvement in the outrage harmed relations between the groups, the source said.
Kirkuk is a multi-ethnic city with a population of Kurds, Arabs and Turkmans located near Iraq’s semi-autonomous Kurdish region.
- Two dead in clashes between Iraqi and Kurdish forces in northern Iraq - Apr 25, 2011
- Twelve dead in two bomb blasts in northern Iraq - Apr 29, 2011
- 6 killed, 10 wounded in Iraq attacks - Apr 16, 2012
- One killed, nine injured in Iraq bombings - Jul 09, 2012
- At least 10 killed, 28 injured in Iraq attacks (Lead) - Oct 22, 2009
- 20 killed, 64 wounded in attacks in Baghdad - Feb 23, 2012
- 'Boko Haram' attacks leave more than 80 people killed in northern Nigeria - Nov 07, 2011
- 50 killed, hundreds injured in Iraq attacks (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- 25 killed, over 170 wounded in Iraq attacks - Mar 20, 2012
- U.S. warns of terrorist attacks in Nigerian capital - Nov 07, 2011
- 55 killed, 126 injured in Iraq attacks (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- 55 killed, 300 wounded in Iraq bombings (Second lead) - Aug 10, 2009
- Dozens killed in Iraq bombing as US troops withdraw - Jun 30, 2009
- Thousands flee after clashes between Nigerian security forces and militants - Dec 29, 2011
- High turnout in elections in Iraq's Kurdish region - Jul 26, 2009