Iran’s supreme leader grants amnesty to 950 prisonersMarch 17th, 2009 - 4:50 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, March 17 (IANS) Iran’s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei has granted amnesty to 950 prisoners earlier convicted by various courts in the country, IRNA reported Tuesday.
The decision was made on the occasion of the birth anniversary of Prophet of Islam March 15.
The pardon was made at the request of Judiciary Chief Ayatollah Mahmoud Hashemi Shahroudi.
The Islamic Republic of Iran usually grants pardon or commutes the punishment of those convicted by the country’s tribunals during the Iranian national or religious events.
- Khamenei orders institute to control cyberspace - Mar 08, 2012
- Iran's parliamentary elections blow to enemies: Khamenei - Mar 01, 2012
- Planned rally to support revolts draws Iranians anger - Feb 10, 2011
- Iran marks 33rd anniversary of Islamic Revolution - Feb 12, 2012
- Iranian supreme leader pardons over 1,200 prisoners - Aug 29, 2011
- IAEA inspectors barred from Iranian military site (Lead) - Feb 22, 2012
- Iran to 'powerfully' respond to a US attack - Nov 10, 2011
- NAM summit opens in Tehran - Aug 30, 2012
- Plot to kill Iran's supreme leader unearthed - Dec 11, 2011
- Iran not pursuing n-arms, says Khamenei - Feb 22, 2012
- Ahmadinejad grilled by Iran parliament - Mar 14, 2012
- Ayatollah Khamenei blames US, Israel for anti-Islam movie - Sep 14, 2012
- Iran's supreme leader backs Kashmir 'struggle' (Lead) - Nov 19, 2010
- Iran pardons 130 inmates ahead of Eid al-Fitr - Aug 16, 2012
- Larijani's brother to become Iran's new judiciary chief - Jul 29, 2009
Tags: ali khamenei, amnesty, ayatollah ali khamenei, birth anniversary, grants, hashemi, irna, islam, islamic republic of iran, judiciary, mahmoud, march 17, prisoners, prophet, religious events, republic of iran, supreme leader ayatollah, supreme leader ayatollah ali khamenei, tehran, tribunals