Iran’s IRGC begins new military drill (Lead)February 20th, 2012 - 12:20 am ICT by IANS
Tehran, Feb 19 (IANS) Ground forces of the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) started a new round of drills in central Iran Sunday, Xinhua reported citing the official IRNA news agency.
IRGC ground forces commander Mohammad Pakpour said that IRGC infantry units and battalions of Basiji voluntary forces will take part in the two-day military exercises, said the report.
Pakpour said Saturday that the drills, code-named Valfajr, would be conducted in the desert area of central Iran and in the central province of Yazd and are aimed at enhancing the combat preparedness of the IRGC forces and to show the might of IRGC in confronting the possible threats of “non-regional enemies.”
Other purposes of the manoeuvres are to increase the country’s deterrence capability, practice modern defensive tactics and test advanced indigenous military equipment, he was quoted as saying by IRNA Sunday.
Earlier this month, the IRGC’s ground forces conducted two rounds of separate military exercises, one of them near Iran’s southern waters and near the strategic Strait of Hormuz.
Pakpour said the IRGC is completely prepared to strike back at any act of aggression against the Islamic Republic.
- Iran launches air drill - Feb 21, 2012
- Iranian troops begin military drill - Jan 08, 2012
- Iran holds military drill - Feb 04, 2012
- Iran to hold another military drill - Jan 04, 2012
- Iran begins 'Holy Prophet 5' war games - Apr 22, 2010
- Iran prepares to strike back if attacked (Lead) - Feb 05, 2012
- Iranian navy detects US aircraft carrier in drill zone - Dec 29, 2011
- US warships in Gulf 'sitting ducks' for Iran missiles - Jul 05, 2012
- Iran's military exercise successful: Official - Apr 23, 2010
- Iran to strike back if attacked - Feb 05, 2012
- Iran holds air defence drills - Jul 12, 2012
- Iran to hold missile drill - Jul 02, 2012
- Iran to hold biggest naval war games - Jan 06, 2012
- Iran to hold military exercise in Persian Gulf Thursday - Apr 22, 2010
- Iran warns US battleship to keep out of Gulf - Jan 03, 2012
Tags: act of aggression, battalions, central iran, central province, defensive tactics, desert area, deterrence, infantry units, irgc, irna, islamic revolutionary guards corps, manoeuvres, military drill, military equipment, military exercises, mohammad, revolutionary guards, southern waters, xinhua, yazd