Iran’s chief justice calls for global Islamic courtApril 22nd, 2009 - 12:59 am ICT by IANS
Tehran, April 21 (IANS) Iran’s Chief Justice Mahmoud Hashemi Shahroudi Tuesday called for setting up an International Islamic Criminal Court to deal with crimes against Muslims, a media report said.
Speaking at the opening ceremony of a two-day International Conference of the Prosecutors of the Islamic Countries here, Shahroudi criticised Israel for its policies on Palestine.
He said the Israeli government has carried out extra-judicial killings against Palestinians and also destroyed infrastructure in Palestine. Israel has violated the international human rights conventions, the ISNA news agency quoted him as saying.
He said the international court would try Israeli war crimes in consultation with Islamic countries. Shahroudi also called for a discussion on the establishment of the court at the UN General Assembly.
- Israel raids Palestinian TV stations in Ramallah - Mar 01, 2012
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- Palestinians not optimistic about peace with new Israeli government - May 09, 2012
- Ahmadinejad predicts failure of Mideast talks - Sep 03, 2010
- Turkish PM says they will not remain silent if Israel attacks Lebanon - Nov 26, 2010
- Palestine's Unesco membership reflects global support: Iran - Nov 02, 2011
- Obama, Netanyahu discuss Mideast situation - Jan 13, 2012
- Iran condems Israel Navy clashes onboard Gaza aid flotilla - State TV - May 31, 2010
- Abbas pledges to continue peace talks with Israel - Jan 23, 2012
- Israel is cancerous tumour: Ahmadinejad - Aug 17, 2012
- Iran slams US over Quran desecration - Sep 13, 2010
- Continue resistance against Israel, Iran's leader tells Hamas - Dec 16, 2009
- Palestinians seek political, financial support from Baghdad Arab summit - Mar 26, 2012
- Abandon new settlement plans, Russia urges Israel - Oct 17, 2011
- Israel warns against concessions to Tehran - May 22, 2012
Tags: chief justice, consultation, criminal court, extra judicial killings, hashemi, human rights conventions, international human rights, islamic countries, islamic court, isna news agency, israeli government, israeli war crimes, mahmoud, muslims, opening ceremony, palestine israel, palestinians, prosecutors, tehran, un general assembly