Iran’s Ahmadinejad demands trial of Israeli leadersJanuary 18th, 2009 - 1:15 am ICT by IANS
Tehran, Jan 17 (Xinhua) Iran’s President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has urged the International Court of Justice to prosecute Israeli leaders for “war crimes” in Gaza, Press TV reported Saturday.Ahmadinejad made the remarks during an emergency Arab summit on Gaza violence in Doha Friday. Egypt and Saudi Arabia did not attend the 22-member Arab League meeting.
“It is most essential that Israel’s political and military leaders stand trial for the acts of genocide they have committed against Palestinians,” the report quoted the Iranian leader as saying.
In a joint communique after the meeting, the leaders called on the Arab nations to cut ties with Israel for Gaza attacks.
Iran’s Supreme Leader Seyed Ali Khamenei has already urged Muslims to cut trade ties with Israel.
“Purchase, import, re-import and promotion of any products, directly or indirectly, with Israeli occupiers are forbidden, and Muslims are not allowed to do so,” the report quoted him as saying.
Israel launched a massive military operation against the Hamas-led militant groups in Gaza Dec 27. At least 1,200 Palestinians have been killed and more than 5,200 others wounded in the attacks.
The Islamic Hamas movement receives strong backing from Iran that does not recognise the Israeli state.
- Egyptian parliamentary delegation visits Gaza - Mar 29, 2012
- Palestinian reconciliation unlikely in 2012: Hamas official - Mar 31, 2012
- Seize Israeli soldiers to swap for Palestinian prisoners: Hamas - Oct 07, 2011
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- Iranian supreme leader criticises US support for Israel - Oct 02, 2011
- Palestinians not optimistic about peace with new Israeli government - May 09, 2012
- Israeli planes attack Hamas sites in Gaza - Feb 26, 2011
- Continue resistance against Israel, Iran's leader tells Hamas - Dec 16, 2009
- Hamas hails decision to permanently open Rafah border crossing - May 27, 2011
- Israel fires at two Palestinians on Gaza border - Jan 18, 2011
- Israeli air strike kills one Palestinian in Gaza - Jan 12, 2011
- Israeli jets hit Hamas targets in Gaza, nine hurt - Jul 31, 2010
- Iran's supreme leader backs Kashmir 'struggle' (Lead) - Nov 19, 2010
- Hamas uncovers spy network collaborating with Israel - Sep 24, 2010
- Israel's ultimatum to Obama on Iran n-plans - Mar 04, 2012
Tags: acts of genocide, ali khamenei, arab nations, emergency arab summit, hamas movement, international court of justice, iranian leader, israeli leaders, israeli state, mahmoud ahmadinejad, massive military operation, militant groups, military leaders, president mahmoud ahmadinejad, saudi arabia, seyed ali khamenei, supreme leader, trade ties, war crimes, xinhua