Iranian troops begin military drillJanuary 8th, 2012 - 2:36 am ICT by IANS
Tehran, Jan 8 (IANS) Iran’s elite Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) has started a military drill that will test the readiness of its troopers under extreme climatic conditions, Press TV reported.
Brigadier General Mohammad Pakpour, commander of the IRGC Ground Forces, said the first phase of the exercise — codenamed “Shohaday-e Vahdat” (Martyrs of Unity) — began Saturday in Khaf city of eastern Khorasan province.
Bolstering security along Iran’s border areas and strengthening the combat readiness of the IRGC Ground Forces under extreme climatic conditions were the main goals of the drill, he said.
The commander said temperatures in Khaf drops 15-21 degrees below zero, Xinhua reported.
Rear Admiral Ali Fadavi of the IRGC Navy said earlier that the corps plans to hold a large-scale military manoeuvre in the Persian Gulf and the Strait of Hormuz in February.
The Strait of Hormuz, connecting the Persian Gulf with the Sea of Oman, is one of the world’s most critical oil routes.
Iran’s navy recently ended a 10-day drill — dubbed “Velayat 90″ — in the Persian Gulf, Strait of Hormuz and the Sea of Oman.
- Iran prepares to strike back if attacked (Lead) - Feb 05, 2012
- Iran warns US battleship to keep out of Gulf - Jan 03, 2012
- Iran holds military drill - Feb 04, 2012
- Iran's IRGC begins new military drill (Lead) - Feb 20, 2012
- Iran to hold another military drill - Jan 04, 2012
- Iran to fire homemade missiles during navy drills - Dec 31, 2011
- Iran test-fires new missiles - Jan 01, 2012
- Iran test fires more missiles - Jan 02, 2012
- Iran test fires anti-ship missiles - Jul 05, 2012
- Pentagon warns Iran against blocking oil route - Dec 29, 2011
- Iran monitors US warships movement in Persian Gulf: Navy chief - Sep 05, 2012
- Iran building its second naval destroyer - Dec 26, 2011
- Iran to strike back if attacked - Feb 05, 2012
- Iran to hold biggest naval war games - Jan 06, 2012
- Iran launches 10-day naval exercise - Dec 24, 2011
Tags: border areas, brigadier general, combat readiness, extreme climatic conditions, iranian troops, irgc, islamic revolution, khorasan province, main goals, manoeuvre, martyrs, military drill, mohammad, persian gulf, rear admiral, sea of oman, strait of hormuz, tehran, vahdat, xinhua