Iranian president thanks Maradona for supportApril 3rd, 2008 - 5:54 pm ICT by admin
Tehran, April 3 (DPA) Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad sent a message to Argentinean football legend Diego Maradona thanking him for his support to the Islamic country, Fars news agency reported Thursday. Maradona voiced his sympathies and support for the Iranian nation in December last year and declared his desire to meet the Iranian president.
He also presented Ahmadinejad through the Iranian embassy in Buenos Aires with an autographed number 10 jersey of the Argentinean national team.
While thanking him for the jersey and describing Maradona as a “renowned global personality”, Ahmadinejad praised the struggle in Latin America against the “arrogant powers”, a reference to political arch-foe US, and promised Iran’s support for the anti-US states there.
Maradona is one of the most popular footballers in Iran and his sympathies for the Islamic state had found a wide coverage in Iranian media last year.
- Iran marks 33rd anniversary of Islamic Revolution - Feb 12, 2012
- Iranian president embarks on Latin American tour (Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- Iran says ready for defence cooperation with Egypt, Libya - Oct 30, 2011
- Iran to announce new 'big' nuclear achievements - Feb 11, 2012
- Iran, Syria to create new world order: Ahmadinejad - Jan 07, 2010
- Mubarak's exit will see emergence of new Middle East: Iran's Ahmadinejad - Feb 12, 2011
- Russia supports Iran's peaceful n-programme: Putin - Jun 07, 2012
- Iran's intelligence minister steps down - Apr 18, 2011
- Ahmadinejad wishes to visit London for Olympics - May 18, 2012
- Israel is cancerous tumour: Ahmadinejad - Aug 17, 2012
- Iran fires foreign minister, appoints top nuclear chief - Dec 13, 2010
- Ahmadinejad invites Morsi to non-aligned meet in Iran - Jul 06, 2012
- Ahmadinejad asks Zardari to hand over 'known terrorists' to Iran - Dec 21, 2010
- Ahmadinejad invited to Saudi Arabia to discuss Syria - Aug 06, 2012
- Planned rally to support revolts draws Iranians anger - Feb 10, 2011
Tags: aires, diego maradona, foe, football legend, footballers, iran, iranian embassy, iranian media, iranian nation, iranian president mahmoud, iranian president mahmoud ahmadinejad, islamic country, islamic state, latin america, mahmoud ahmadinejad, news agency, personality, president mahmoud ahmadinejad, sympathies, tehran