Iranian parliamentary delegation in Syria for talksAugust 26th, 2012 - 12:03 am ICT by IANS
Damascus, Aug 25 (IANS) A delegation from Iranian Parliament’s National Security and Foreign Policy Commission arrived in the Syrian capital on a two-day visit Saturday for talks with top Syrian officials including President Bashar Al Assad.
The delegation comprises the commission’s chief, Alaeddin Boroujerdi and two other members, reported Xinhua.
The visit comes as Iran has recently proposed a new initiative to solve the Syrian crisis.
Boroujerdi told reporters after his landing that Syrian Prime Minister Wael Halki will take part in the upcoming Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) summit in Tehran.
He expressed optimism and said that soon “we will see a solution to the current problems,” adding that during his visit he will hold talks and negotiations with the Syrian side.
“Our message to the brothers in Syria is a message of love and we hope to see stability and security in Syria,” he said.
A day earlier, Iranian Foreign Minister Ali-Akbar Salehi said the Islamic republic will present an “acceptable and rational” proposal on the Syrian crisis at the upcoming NAM summit in Tehran, Iran’s Press TV reported.
“We believe that the proposal is acceptable, rational and principled and will include all parties involved in Syrian issues, ” said Salehi, adding that “it will be very difficult to oppose it”.
He noted that Iran has been in close contact with many countries as well as the Syrian opposition over the past year since the outset of the crisis in Syria, emphasizing that the ground should be prepared for an understanding between the Syrian government and opposition.
Salehi also pointed to Iran’s proposal to host talks between the Syrian government and opposition in a bid to end the violence in the Arab nation and expressed hope that Tehran would host the talks after the NAM summit.
He said most of the opposition have expressed their readiness to attend such talks, according to the report.
Salehi reaffirmed the Islamic republic’s “principled support” for Syria, saying that Damascus is an important ring in the chain of resistance against Israel.
The NAM summit will be held Aug 30-31 in Tehran.
- Iran stresses support to Syria - Aug 27, 2012
- Canada's suspension of ties 'hostile' measure: Iran - Sep 09, 2012
- 'Annan to visit Iran for Syria talks' - Apr 05, 2012
- Annan to visit Iran next week on Syria - Apr 05, 2012
- India, US to brainstorm on Syria, Iran - Aug 16, 2012
- Iran renews support for Annan's Syria peace plan - Aug 01, 2012
- India bats for UN-led resolution of Syria crisis - Aug 14, 2012
- Expert-level NAM meeting kicks off in Tehran - Aug 26, 2012
- Iran denies Syria captives are elite guards - Aug 06, 2012
- India listens in on Iran conference on Syria - Aug 09, 2012
- Manmohan set for high-wire diplomacy in Iran: Oil, trade, Syria on agenda - Aug 12, 2012
- Iranian, Egyptian presidents discuss NAM objectives, region - Aug 30, 2012
- Iran ready to expand ties with North Korea - Aug 28, 2012
- Iran declines reports of arms supplies to Syria - Feb 26, 2012
- Amid sanctions pressure, Iran to pitch for expanded India ties - May 30, 2012
Tags: alaeddin boroujerdi, ali akbar, arab nation, bashar al assad, close contact, host talks, iranian foreign minister, iranian parliament, nam summit, parliamentary delegation, president bashar, republ, salehi, syrian capital, syrian government, syrian officials, syrian opposition, syrian side, tehran iran, xinhua