Iranian lawyer sentenced to six years’ jailFebruary 21st, 2012 - 4:22 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, Feb 21 (IANS/AKI) The Iranian lawyer of a woman who was sentenced to death in 2006 for adultery has himself been sentenced to six years in prison by a court in Iran, according to human rights group Herana.
The court in the northern Iranian city of Tabriz sentenced Javid Hutan Kian, the lawyer for Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtian for “attacking the Islamic Republic’s security and hurting the reputation of the country by granting interviews to the foreign media, criticising the Iranian authorities about the Sakineh case,” Herana said.
According to his lawyer Taqi Mahmoudi, Kian has already been in prison for one-and-half years and is in poor health due to torture.
Kian was arrested by Iranian intelligence agents in October 2010 in Tabriz. Last March he managed to send a smuggled letter to Adnkronos International that said he was tortured in prison and pleaded for international support.
- Son and lawyer of condemned woman tortured in Iran - Oct 29, 2010
- Iranian lawyer says he's been tortured in prison - Mar 02, 2011
- Iranian woman's stoning sentence 'still in place' - Sep 28, 2010
- Children of Iranian woman on death row 'threatened' - Sep 16, 2010
- Stoning of Iranian woman 'barbaric': EU - Sep 08, 2010
- Iran stoning woman 'not about to be hanged' - Dec 29, 2011
- Iranian 'adultress' to be executed Wednesday - Nov 02, 2010
- Iranian stoning-to-death woman 'lashed 99 times' for false picture published by Times - Sep 06, 2010
- Celebrities sign open letter urging Iran to release 'death by stoning' woman - Dec 14, 2010
- Iran woman sentenced to death by stoning 'confesses' to adultery, murder on state TV - Aug 12, 2010
- Family of Iranian woman to be stoned refused prison visits - Aug 28, 2010
- Iranian Woman, Sentenced To Death By Stoning, Allegedly Confesses Under Torture - Aug 13, 2010
- Iranian 'stoning to death' woman may be executed by Wednesday, claim HR observers - Nov 02, 2010
- Iran foreign ministry puts stoning of adulterous woman on hold - Sep 08, 2010
- Iranian 'death by stoning' woman's son reported missing - Oct 13, 2010
Tags: adnkronos, adultery, half years, human rights group, hutan, intelligence agents, iran, iranian authorities, iranian city, iranian intelligence, islamic republic, javid, lawyer, poor health, reputation, six years, tehran