Iranian lawmakers slam UN human rights resolutionMarch 28th, 2011 - 2:21 am ICT by BNO News
TEHRAN (BNO NEWS) — A number of Iranian lawmakers criticized the United Nations Human Rights Council for adopting an anti-Iran resolution, Press TV reported Sunday.
The Islamic Republic had denounced the act as a political move meant to divert attention from human rights abuses committed by the United States.
A member of the National Security and Foreign Policy Commission of the Iranian Parliament, Fatemeh Alia, said the so-called defenders of human rights are “in the front line” of anti-democracy moves.
“In the 21st century, the modern barbarism has made a gesture of defending human rights, but is committing the most heinous acts of human rights violation,” she said.
Sa’dollah Nassiri Qeidari, another lawmaker, decried the anti-Iran UN resolution, dismissing it as a “sinister” Western plot.
“Given the situation in the region and the awakening of the people of Islamic countries, hegemonic powers such as the US, Britain and France are trying to use such political and biased resolutions to tarnish the image of the Islamic Republic of Iran and deflect public opinion from the Islamic Revolution,” he added.
The United Nations Human Rights Council on Thursday approved a resolution for the appointment of a special human rights rapporteur for Iran. The motion received 22 votes in favor, seven against, and 14 abstentions.
The human rights resolution, which was introduced by the U.S. and Sweden, was adopted in order to promote human rights and fundamental freedoms through a better understanding of traditional values of humankind.
- EU calls sanctions on Iranian officials over rights abuses - Apr 14, 2011
- Iran deplores U.S.-sponsored human rights resolution - Mar 26, 2011
- Ban condemns Ahmadinejad's anti-Israel statement - Aug 18, 2012
- 'IAEA resolution not to stop Iran's nuclear programme' - Nov 20, 2011
- European Parliament calls for sanctions against Iran's human rights abuses - Feb 02, 2011
- Iranian govt. continuing its crackdown on lawyers who defend opposition voices - Nov 17, 2010
- 'Mideast massive protests' a replay of 1979 Islamic revolution: Iranian conservatives - Jan 29, 2011
- Ready to examine US evidence on alleged assassination plot: Iran - Oct 18, 2011
- Ex-Iranian female MP hails UN decision to keep Iran away from gender equality seat - Nov 16, 2010
- India abstains from Saudi-sponsored resolution aimed at Iran - Nov 19, 2011
- Iran criticises IAEA for leaking its scientists' identity - Nov 19, 2011
- Iran's parliamentary elections blow to enemies: Khamenei - Mar 01, 2012
- Now UN rights rapporteur recommends AFSPA repeal - Mar 10, 2012
- European Union approves new sanctions against Iran - Jul 26, 2010
- Iran to 'powerfully' respond to a US attack - Nov 10, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,