Iranian, Egyptian presidents discuss NAM objectives, regionAugust 30th, 2012 - 11:55 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, Aug 30 (IANS) Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi held talks here on Thursday about the objectives of the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) and regional developments.
Quoting Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister for Arab and African Affairs Hossein Amir Abdollahian, the semi-official Mehr news agency said the two presidents held talks in a “friendly atmosphere” and reviewed the objectives of the NAM and their concerns, reported Xinhua.
The Islamic republic officially assumed the NAM rotating presidency from Egypt Thursday. At the opening ceremony of the NAM summit in Tehran, Morsi, who arrived here Thursday morning, handed over the NAM’s rotating presidency to his Iranian counterpart.
During the meeting, the Iranian president congratulated Morsi for his victory in Egypt’s presidential election and Morsi described Iran’s presidency over the NAM as an “opportunity” for the movement, Amir-Abdollhian was quoted as saying.
About Iran-Egypt diplomatic relations, the Iranian official said the issue has only been discussed on the ministerial level.
Morsi is the first Egyptian leader to visit Iran since diplomatic ties between the two countries were broken off in the wake of Iran’s 1979 Islamic revolution.
The Egyptian president left Iran after handing over the NAM presidency to Iran, said Mehr.
- Iran, North Korea call for expanded ties - Sep 01, 2012
- Ahmadinejad invites Morsi to non-aligned meet in Iran - Jul 06, 2012
- Abbas not to hold bilateral talks with Iran - Aug 31, 2012
- PM leaves for Tehran - Aug 28, 2012
- India revives NAM tune amid Iranian PR hoopla - Sep 06, 2012
- India revives NAM tune amid Iranian PR hoopla (Lead, correcting para eight) - Sep 06, 2012
- Russia to attend meeting on Syria in Iran - Aug 09, 2012
- Canada's suspension of ties 'hostile' measure: Iran - Sep 09, 2012
- New president in Egypt: Implications for political Islam (Comment) - Jul 03, 2012
- Expert-level NAM meeting kicks off in Tehran - Aug 26, 2012
- Iranian parliamentary delegation in Syria for talks - Aug 26, 2012
- Iran condemns foreign intervention in Syria - Oct 05, 2011
- NAM summit opens in Tehran - Aug 30, 2012
- Manmohan Singh arrives in Tehran - Aug 28, 2012
- Iranians protest anti-Islam movie - Sep 13, 2012
Tags: african affairs, amir, diplomatic relations, diplomatic ties, egyptian leader, egyptian president, iranian official, iranian president mahmoud, iranian president mahmoud ahmadinejad, islamic revolution, mahmoud ahmadinejad, ministerial level, nam summit, opening ceremony, president mahmoud ahmadinejad, president mohamed, regional developments, semi official, thursday morning, xinhua