Iranian clerics call for slaying of Quran burnersSeptember 14th, 2010 - 5:43 pm ICT by ANI
Tehran, Sep 14(ANI): Two Iranian clerics have said that anyone desecrating the Quran must be killed.
American pastor Terry Jones had earlier threatened to burn copies of the Quran on the ninth anniversary of the September 11, 2001, attacks. He later relented.
However, a group tore up pages of the holy book in a protest outside the White House on Saturday.
“From the point of view of Islamic jurisprudence, strong objection to such thoughts is mandatory and necessary and killing the people who have committed this act is compulsory,” News.com.au quoted Hossein Nouri Hamedani, as saying.
Hamedani’s view was echoed by Naser Makarem Shirazi, who said that action must be taken after consulting a “religious judge”.
“The blood of the person who burns the Koran can undoubtedly be shed. But in this issue, no action should be taken without the permission of a religious judge,” Shirazi said.
Meanwhile, around 500 people demonstrated outside the Swiss embassy in Tehran in protest against the Quran-burning issue in the United States.
Several protesters, carrying copies of the Quran on their heads, set US and Israeli flags on fire, and chanted: “Death to America! Death to Israel!”
The Swiss embassy manages US interests in Iran since Washington and Tehran have had no diplomatic ties since the 1979 Islamic revolution. (ANI)
- Pakistan takes up Florida Quran desecration with UN - Mar 23, 2011
- Iran may ban dogs from public places - Apr 14, 2011
- Iran says Israel behind Quran burning plan - Sep 09, 2010
- American Flag Burning Planned By UK Based Muslim Radicals - Sep 11, 2010
- Petraeus Warns Koran Burning Endangers Troops, Church Fires Back - Sep 08, 2010
- Malaysians protest Quran burning in Afghanistan - Feb 24, 2012
- US commander in Afghanistan asks church not to burn Quran - Sep 07, 2010
- Iran slams US over Quran desecration - Sep 13, 2010
- Americans Stand Against Small 50 Member Church Burning the Quran - Sep 09, 2010
- Five soldiers involved in Afghan Quran burning - Mar 02, 2012
- Pakistan to write to Pope, Interpol for action on Florida Quran desecration - Mar 29, 2011
- US pastor plans to run for president - Oct 28, 2011
- Pak to record protest at all international forums against Florida Quran desecration - Mar 24, 2011
- Iran thanks Pope for condemning Quran burning plan - Oct 08, 2010
- Kashmir, Punjab flare up after rumours of Quran burning in US - Sep 13, 2010
Tags: clerics, death to america, diplomatic ties, iran, islamic jurisprudence, islamic revolution, israeli flags, judge the blood, koran, makarem shirazi, ninth anniversary, objection, point of view, protest, protesters, september 11 2001, swiss embassy, tehran, terry jones, white house