Iranian artillery shells Kurdish rebels in northern IraqMarch 13th, 2008 - 8:04 pm ICT by admin
Baghdad, March 13 (DPA) Iranian artillery Thursday shelled villages in northern Iraq where Iranian Kurdish rebels are believed to be operating, according to an official. The artillery shelled seven villages in the area of Qalit Diza in Sulaymanyah province in Iraq’s Kurdish Autonomous Region, Hasan Abdallah, the head of Qalit Diza council told the Voices of Iraq news agency.
The shelling continued for over two hours and caused no casualties, the official said.
The Iranian artillery frequently shells villages in the mountains of Sulaymanyah where it says rebels from the Party of Free Life of Kurdistan (PJAK) are based.
The PJAK is part of an alliance of Kurdish rebel groups, including the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK). The rebel alliance is engaged in an armed campaign in support of their demand for autonomy and rights for the Kurdish minorities in Iran and Turkey.
Kurdish rebel groups are believed to be operating from northern Iraq where Iraq’s Kurds established an autonomous government, which is part of a federal Iraq.
- Iranian military shells rebel positions in northern Iraq - May 13, 2008
- Turkey launches military operations in northern Iraq - Oct 21, 2011
- 26 militants killed in Iran - Aug 24, 2009
- Smugglers in Iraq Blunt Sanctions Against Tehran - Jul 09, 2010
- Turkish jets bomb targets in northern Iraq - Jun 21, 2010
- Twelve dead in two bomb blasts in northern Iraq - Apr 29, 2011
- 9,000 Syrian refugees reach Iraq - Jul 22, 2012
- Iraq condemns Iranian shelling in its territory - May 05, 2009
- US sanctions Kurdish separatists - Oct 15, 2009
- Hotel fire kills 40 in Iraq - Jul 16, 2010
- U.S. teacher shot dead by student in Iraq - Mar 03, 2012
- One killed in Iraq protest - Feb 17, 2011
- Two dead in clashes between Iraqi and Kurdish forces in northern Iraq - Apr 25, 2011
- After war, Iraqis tell their tales through films - Apr 22, 2012
- Eight Turkish soldiers killed near Iraqi border - Jun 19, 2010
Tags: abdallah, artillery shells, autonomous government, autonomous region, autonomy, casualties, diza, dpa, iraq news, kurdish rebels, kurdistan, kurdistan workers party, kurds, news agency, northern iraq, pjak, pkk, rebel alliance, rebel groups, voices of iraq