Iran urges total ban on nuclear weaponsSeptember 3rd, 2011 - 4:34 am ICT by IANS
United Nations, Sep 3 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Iran’s envoy to the UN has urged the international community to reject nuclear weapons and impose a total ban on nuclear tests.
“The complete destruction of nuclear weapons guarantees that they will be used no more, even by accident,” Mohammad Khazaee said Friday at the informal UN General Assembly meeting dedicated to the International Day against Nuclear Testing.
Diplomats present at the meeting pushed for the ratification of the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty (CTBT).
“Iran believes that the CTBT is a further step towards nuclear disarmament, but the treaty cannot substitute a total ban on nuclear weapons,” Khazee said.
“Nuclear disarmament should be put on the agenda of the international community and nuclear tests should be prohibited, including computer generated simulations,” the Iranian diplomat added.
The West suspects Iran of pursuing a secret nuclear weapons programme, but the Islamic republic, which is already under four sets of international sanctions over its nuclear activities, insists it needs nuclear power solely for civilian purposes.
Iran President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has said the use of nuclear weapons is “un-Islamic”.
- Russia calls on US to ratify CTBT - Aug 30, 2012
- UN chief urges global ban on n-tests - Aug 30, 2011
- Russia warns against unilateral sanctions on Iran - Jun 14, 2012
- Russia may build more n-reactors in Iran - Nov 10, 2011
- US missile defence plans hinder new arms cuts: Russia - Jun 30, 2012
- UN calls for moratorium on nuclear tests - Aug 26, 2010
- European parliament urges Russia, China to back Iran sanctions - Feb 03, 2012
- EU condemns attacks on Israeli diplomats - Feb 14, 2012
- Russia supports Iran's peaceful n-programme: Putin - Jun 07, 2012
- Russia terms IAEA report on Iran 'biased' - Nov 10, 2011
- Russia seeks compromise on Iran sanctions - Mar 06, 2012
- Moscow urges Iran to respond to IAEA concerns - Feb 27, 2012
- UN chief calls on countries to ratify CTBT - Feb 19, 2012
- Ahmadinejad invited to Saudi Arabia to discuss Syria - Aug 06, 2012
- Iran calls for immediate disarmament of nuclear states - May 27, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,