Iran twin quake toll rises to 306August 13th, 2012 - 3:24 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, Aug 13 (IANS) The toll in Saturday’s strong twin quakes in northwest Iran has risen to 306, Fars news agency cited the Iranian health minister as saying Monday.
Marzieh Vahid Dastjerdi told Iran’s Majlis (parliament) Monday that the number of fatalities in the quake-stricken regions has risen to 306, reported Xinhua.
Dastjerdi said that all others who were buried under the debris were rescued.
On Sunday, Iran’s ISNA news agency reported that some 5,000 people were injured.
The quakes, which jolted East Azerbaijan province, damaged some 110 villages, Deputy Interior Minister Hassan Qaddami told Fars Sunday.
At least 12 villages had been levelled, while 60 were damaged 50 percent to 80 percent in Ahar region in the province, Fars said.
Two days of mourning was announced in East Azerbaijan Sunday, according to ISNA.
A 6.2-magnitude temblor, with a depth of 10 km, hit Ahar at 4.53 p.m. Saturday, while another 6-magnitude earthquake, also with a depth of 10 km, struck nearby Varzaqan at 5.04 p.m., according to Iranian Seismological Center.
On Dec 26, 2003, a 6.8-magnitude earthquake hit the southern region of Bam. Over 30,000 died and 50,000 were injured, and 70 percent of the residential buildings in the region were reduced to debris.
- 300 killed in twin quakes in Iran (Lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- Iran earthquake toll rises to 306 dead, more than 3,000 injured - Aug 14, 2012
- 250 killed, 1,800 injured in Iran quakes - Aug 12, 2012
- 90 killed in Iran quake - Aug 12, 2012
- 40 killed in Iran quake - Aug 11, 2012
- Damage reported after moderate earthquake rattles southern Iran - Jan 05, 2011
- 36 injured in Iran quake - Jan 20, 2012
- Big B, Preity pray for Iran quake victims - Aug 12, 2012
- Strong earthquake rocks southeastern Iran, casualties unknown - Dec 21, 2010
- Four killed in Italy quake - May 20, 2012
- 27 killed, 270 hurt in Iran blasts (Second Lead) - Jul 16, 2010
- Argentina struck by 6.2 magnitude earthquake - Oct 06, 2011
- Earthquake shakes China's Yunnan province - Sep 07, 2012
- 100-year-old woman killed in Italian quake (Lead) - May 20, 2012
- Tsunami alert issued after Indonesia's 6.7-magnitude quake - Apr 04, 2011
Tags: azerbaijan, bam, debris, deputy interior minister, east azerbaijan province, fars, hassan, health minister, isna news agency, magnitude earthquake, marzieh, mourning, northwest iran, quake toll, quakes, residential buildings, tehran, temblor, vahid, xinhua