Iran to install fuel rods in n-reactor WednesdayFebruary 15th, 2012 - 1:46 am ICT by IANS
Tehran, Feb 15 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Iran will insert its first domestically-produced nuclear fuel rods into a research reactor in Tehran Wednesday, a top Iranian official said Tuesday.
“Because western countries were unwilling to help us, we began enriching uranium to 20 percent to make nuclear fuel rods,” Ali Bagheri, deputy chief of Iran’s national security council, said in an interview here.
“These nuclear rods, the first created by Iranian specialists, will be inserted tomorrow into the Tehran Research Reactor in the presence of Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad,” Bagheri said Tuesdsay.
Insertion of the domestically-produced nuclear fuel rods would mark a significant step forward in Iran’s nuclear programme, experts said.
Ahmadinejad announced last weekend that Iran would make an “important” announcement about its nuclear program this week.
Iran says its nuclear program is confined to production of peaceful atomic energy which it says is a fundamental right of any country.
Western nations and Israel have charged that Tehran is secretly working to build nuclear weapons - an assertion Iran vehemently denies.
- Iran unveils nuclear achievements, cuts oil exports (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Iran unveils latest nuclear achievements (Second Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Russia rules out Iran sanctions - Feb 16, 2012
- Russia supports Iran's peaceful n-programme: Putin - Jun 07, 2012
- Iran claims being hit by second cyber attack - Apr 26, 2011
- Iran enriches 100 kg of Uranium to 20 percent (Lead) - Feb 20, 2012
- Moscow urges Iran to respond to IAEA concerns - Feb 27, 2012
- European parliament urges Russia, China to back Iran sanctions - Feb 03, 2012
- US condemns Iran's decision to start uranium enrichment - Jan 11, 2012
- IAEA team in Tehran for talks - Feb 20, 2012
- Iran starts enriching uranium to 20 percent - Jan 10, 2012
- US presidential candidate warns of bombing Iran's nuke sites - Jan 02, 2012
- EU accepts Iran talks offer - Mar 06, 2012
- Iranian leader threatens to increase uranium enrichment - Jul 23, 2012
- Russia may build more n-reactors in Iran - Nov 10, 2011
Tags: atomic energy, bagheri, deputy chief, enriching uranium, fundamental right, important announcement, iranian official, iranian president mahmoud, iranian president mahmoud ahmadinejad, iranian specialists, mahmoud ahmadinejad, national security council, nuclear fuel rods, nuclear program, nuclear rods, nuclear weapons, president mahmoud ahmadinejad, research reactor, ria novosti, western countries