Iran to fire homemade missiles during navy drillsDecember 31st, 2011 - 8:33 am ICT by IANS
Tehran, Dec 31 (IANS) Iranian navy will fire various homemade missiles during the naval drills in the strategic Strait of Hormuz, an Iranian commander was quoted by Press TV as saying.
The country’s naval units will fire different long- and short-range land-to-sea, surface-to-surface and surface-to-air missiles during the power phase of the exercises, starting Saturday, Xinhua quoted the TV report citing Iranian navy’s deputy commander Rear Admiral Seyyed Mahmoud Mousavi as saying Friday.
Mousavi, who is also the spokesman for the drills, said that during the power phase of the exercises, Iran’s submarines will also hit the pre-determined targets, using domestically-manufactured torpedoes.
Naval forces will also fire shoulder-launched missiles and hit mock targets of the enemy, he added.
On Friday, the Iranian Navy launched the seventh day of major naval drills in the strategic Strait of Hormuz.
Last Saturday, the Iranian navy launched a 10-day exercise, dubbed Velayat 90, to cover a length of 2,000 km stretching from the east of the Strait of Hormuz in the Persian Gulf to the Gulf of Aden.
- Iran test fires more missiles - Jan 02, 2012
- Iran test-fires new missiles - Jan 01, 2012
- Iran tests artillery firepower in navy drills - Dec 31, 2011
- Iranian navy detects US aircraft carrier in drill zone - Dec 29, 2011
- Iran building its second naval destroyer - Dec 26, 2011
- Iran warns US battleship to keep out of Gulf - Jan 03, 2012
- Iran launches 10-day naval exercise - Dec 24, 2011
- Iran denies launching missile in Persian Gulf - Jan 01, 2012
- Pentagon warns Iran against blocking oil route - Dec 29, 2011
- Iranian troops begin military drill - Jan 08, 2012
- Iran to hold biggest naval war games - Jan 06, 2012
- Iran to hold another military drill - Jan 04, 2012
- Iran monitors US warships movement in Persian Gulf: Navy chief - Sep 05, 2012
- Prithvi-II, Dhanush missiles test fired successfully - Mar 11, 2011
- India, Pakistan successfully test-fire n-capable missiles (Fourth Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
Tags: deputy commander, exercises, gulf of aden, iranian navy, last saturday, mahmoud, mousavi, persian gulf, power phase, rear admiral, sea surface, spokesman, strait of hormuz, submarines, surface to air, surface to air missiles, tehran, torpedoes, tv report, xinhua