Iran to compete in 2012 London Olympics despite logo complaintsMarch 13th, 2011 - 1:36 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar 13 (ANI): Iran has indicated that its athletes would compete in the 2012 Olympics in London despite complaining that the Games logo resembles the word “Zion”.
Last month, Iran had urged the International Olympic Committee to change the graphic, after complaining that its resemblance to the word Zion, a Biblical term for Israel, was racist, the BBC reports.
The Iranian-backed Press TV, however, quoted an official as saying that Iran would take part in the event.
“Our decision, to partake in the Olympic Games, has nothing to do with the UK politicians. We will make co-ordination with officials of the International Olympic Comittee and we will participate and play gloriously in London Games,” Secretary of Iran’s Olympic organising committee, Bashram Afsharzadeh, said.
In its original letter to the IOC, Iran had called for the Games logo to be withdrawn and its designers “confronted”. There was also a suggestion that Iranian athletes would be told not to attend.
At that time, IOC President Jacques Rogge told BBC Sport: “No, it can’t be serious. We will quietly reply, telling Iran that the logo has nothing to do with racism or any political connotation.”
The complaint was also dismissed by Prime Minister David Cameron, who said the Iranians would not be missed if they did not attend.
“It’s completely paranoid. If the Iranians don’t want to come, don’t come - we won’t miss you. It would be a crazy reason for not coming,” Cameron had said. (ANI)
- IOC chief dismisses Iran claim that London Olympics logo is racist - Mar 02, 2011
- Rogge praises Youth Games, expects top athletes in 2014 - Aug 26, 2010
- Pound's drug remark about Jamaican athletes rubbished - Aug 15, 2012
- Cameron says London will be ready for Olympics - Mar 28, 2012
- Rogge terms London Olympics 'happy & glorious' - Aug 13, 2012
- IOC-OCA observers not acceptable to IOA: Malhotra - Sep 13, 2012
- IOC allows Kuwaiti athletes to compete under Olympic flag - May 25, 2012
- IOC chief Rogge to attend Commonwealth Games opening ceremony - Sep 30, 2010
- IOC: Iranian athlete pulled out of competition due to injury - Aug 17, 2010
- India asks IOC to drop Dow as Olympic sponsor - Feb 27, 2012
- IOC defends Dow, IOA doesn't agree (Lead) - Feb 16, 2012
- Not easy to adopt basketball in Youth Olympics: Rogge - Aug 24, 2010
- Olympics: British PM announces more cash for athletes - Aug 13, 2012
- IOC Chairman upbeat about Olympics - Jul 22, 2012
- IOA president asks IOC to remove Dow as Olympics sponsor - Dec 20, 2011
Tags: 2012 london olympics, 2012 olympics, bbc, connotation, crazy reason, david cameron, international olympic comittee, international olympic committee, ioc, iranians, jacques rogge, london games, minister david, olympic games, olympic organising committee, ordination, racism, resemblance, uk politicians, zion