Iran test-fires new missilesJanuary 1st, 2012 - 6:30 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, Jan 1 (IANS) Iran Sunday successfully test-fired its new surface-to-air missiles during an naval exercise in the Strait of Hormuz, the official media reported.
The 10-day exercise, dubbed Velayat 90, was launched Dec 24 to tests the country’s military capabilities.
Navy chief Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari said the missiles were built by Iranian scientists.
He added that surface-to-sea, shoulder-launched missiles and torpedoes will also be tested, the state-run IRNA news agency reported.
The drills cover an area from the east of the Strait of Hormuz in the Persian Gulf to the Gulf of Aden.
The Pentagon last Wednesday warned Iran against any attempt to block the Strait, one of the world’s most critical oil routes.
“This is not just an important issue for security and stability in the region, but is an economic lifeline for countries in the Gulf.
“Interference with the transit or passage of vessels through the Strait of Hormuz will not be tolerated,” Xinhua quoted Pentagon press secretary George Little as saying.
The remarks came after Iran’s top officials threatened to seal off the important oil route.
On Tuesday, Iran’s First Vice President Mohammad-Reza Rahimi had said that Iran will close the Strait of Hormuz if the West put sanctions on its oil exports.
- Iran test fires more missiles - Jan 02, 2012
- Iran building its second naval destroyer - Dec 26, 2011
- Pentagon warns Iran against blocking oil route - Dec 29, 2011
- Iran to fire homemade missiles during navy drills - Dec 31, 2011
- Iran launches 10-day naval exercise - Dec 24, 2011
- Iran tests artillery firepower in navy drills - Dec 31, 2011
- Iran to hold naval drills in international waters - Nov 26, 2011
- Iran tests new missiles at war game - May 10, 2010
- Iran to hold another military drill - Jan 04, 2012
- Iran warns US battleship to keep out of Gulf - Jan 03, 2012
- Iran monitors US warships movement in Persian Gulf: Navy chief - Sep 05, 2012
- Tehran threatens to block Strait of Hormuz - Dec 28, 2011
- Iranian troops begin military drill - Jan 08, 2012
- Iran test fires surface-to-sea missiles - Jul 06, 2011
- Iran includes three indigenous submarines in navy - Nov 29, 2011
Tags: dec 24, economic lifeline, gulf of aden, military capabilities, mohammad reza, naval exercise, news agency, oil exports, pentagon press, persian gulf, president mohammad, press secretary, rahimi, rear admiral, strait of hormuz, surface to air, surface to air missiles, test fires, torpedoes, xinhua