Iran test fires new long-range missile: reportMarch 8th, 2009 - 11:03 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, March 8 (Xinhua) Iran has “successfully” test fired a new long-range missile, the country’s English-language television station Press TV reported Sunday.
“Iran’s defence ministry said it has successfully installed long-range (air-to-sea) missiles on some of its jet fighters,” the report said, which did not say when the test was conducted.
“The ministry said Iranian experts have managed to build and test-launched the new missile to hit its naval targets within a range of more than 110 kilometres,” the report said.
“These are also equipped with radar system for automatic navigation and target recognition,” the report said, adding the 500-kg missile is Iran’s latest military development.
The country’s latest test of its long-range missiles comes amid the global efforts to soothe the tension between Iran and the West over its nuclear programme. Tehran has said its military agenda is defensive and its technology is aimed at the possible aggressions.
On Wednesday, Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) commander Major General Mohammad Ali Jafari said that Israel’s nuclear sites are within the reach of its missiles.
“All the nuclear sites in every part of the occupied lands by the Zionist regime (Israel) are within the reach of Iran’s missiles,” Jafari was quoted as saying.
The US and Israel have consistently refused to rule out the possibility of military strikes against Iran over its refusal to halt its nuclear programme.
The US and its allies have accused Iran of trying to develop nuclear weapons under the cover of a civilian nuclear programme. Iran has denied the US charges and insisted that its nuclear programme is for peaceful purposes only.
- Israel 'plans attack on Tehran within months' - Feb 04, 2012
- 'Iran to boost missile systems to safeguard itself from US-Israel aggression' - Jan 05, 2011
- Iran to hold missile drill - Jul 02, 2012
- Iran to unveil 'advanced' cruise missile - Sep 09, 2012
- Iran tests its new air defense system - Nov 16, 2010
- Iran launches biggest air defence drill - Nov 16, 2010
- Iran threatens Israel - Jul 02, 2012
- Iran launches air drill - Feb 21, 2012
- Iran tests new home-made missile system - Apr 17, 2011
- Iran test fires surface-to-sea missiles - Jul 06, 2011
- G8 expresses concerns over North Korea, Iran - May 20, 2012
- Israel is cancerous tumour: Ahmadinejad - Aug 17, 2012
- US warships in Gulf 'sitting ducks' for Iran missiles - Jul 05, 2012
- Iran test-fires ballistic missiles - Jul 03, 2012
- Israel to test next-generation missile defense system - Mar 02, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,