Iran test fires more missilesJanuary 2nd, 2012 - 6:34 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, Jan 2 (IANS) Iran test-fired more homemade missiles on the last day Monday of its 10-day naval exercise in the Strait of Hormuz, the state media reported.
The advanced long-range coast-to-sea Qader missile, tested Monday, has smart radar-evading features, Xinhua reported quoting the IRNA news agency.
The missile has been upgraded to hit targets accurately, IRNA quoted deputy commander of the Iranian Navy Rear Admiral Seyyed Mahmoud Mousavi as saying.
Mousavi said Iran has also test fired short-range Nasr missile to pre-determined targets. The upgraded surface-to-surface Noor missile was also tested, he said.
The exercise, dubbed Velayat 90, was launched Dec 24 to tests the country’s military capabilities.
The drills cover an area from the east of the Strait of Hormuz in the Persian Gulf to the Gulf of Aden.
Earlier on Sunday, the navy test fired its new surface-to-air missiles.
On Dec 28, the Pentagon warned Iran against any attempt to block the Strait, one of the world’s most critical oil routes.
“Interference with the transit or passage of vessels through the Strait of Hormuz will not be tolerated,” Xinhua quoted Pentagon press secretary George Little as saying.
The remarks came after Iran’s top officials threatened to seal off the important oil route.
- Iran test-fires new missiles - Jan 01, 2012
- Iran to fire homemade missiles during navy drills - Dec 31, 2011
- Iran warns US battleship to keep out of Gulf - Jan 03, 2012
- Iran building its second naval destroyer - Dec 26, 2011
- Iranian navy detects US aircraft carrier in drill zone - Dec 29, 2011
- Iran tests artillery firepower in navy drills - Dec 31, 2011
- Pentagon warns Iran against blocking oil route - Dec 29, 2011
- Iranian troops begin military drill - Jan 08, 2012
- Iran tests new missiles at war game - May 10, 2010
- Iran denies launching missile in Persian Gulf - Jan 01, 2012
- Iran launches 10-day naval exercise - Dec 24, 2011
- Iran prepares to strike back if attacked (Lead) - Feb 05, 2012
- Iran to hold war games - Dec 14, 2011
- US Navy rescues 13 Iranians from Somali pirates - Jan 07, 2012
- Iran to hold another military drill - Jan 04, 2012
Tags: dec 24, deputy commander, gulf of aden, iranian navy, irna news agency, mahmoud, military capabilities, missile, mousavi, naval exercise, navy test, pentagon, pentagon press, persian gulf, press secretary, rear admiral, strait of hormuz, surface to air, surface to air missiles, xinhua