Iran test-fires ballistic missilesJuly 3rd, 2012 - 3:21 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, July 3 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Iran’s Revolutionary Guards Tuesday test-fired a number of intermediate range ballistic missiles as part of a large-scale training exercise.
“Dozens of rockets” of various ranges and types were fired, including Shahab-1, 2 and 3 ballistic missiles in the exercise named “Great Prophet 7″, Iranian news agency ISNA reported.
The targets for the missiles were simulated military bases of a potential enemy, located in the deserts in Semnan province in the north of the country.
According to western media reports, Shahab-3 has a range of around 2,000 km that would allow Iran to strike Israel and US bases in the Middle East.
The other missiles Iran test-fired Tuesday were shorter range systems capable of firing from 200-700 km.
The “Great Prophet 7″ exercise started Monday and is expected to end Wednesday.
A unit of the Revolutionary Guard, which is an elite unit of the Iranian armed forces and does not come under the direct control of the high command, was formed Monday and has been carrying out a series of command and control exercises.
These would include flights by manned aircraft and UAVs.
The US and many European countries, and Israel, accuse Iran of having a covert nuclear weapons development programme hidden in its civil atomic research and power generation effort.
Iran denies the claim and says its nuclear developments are entirely peaceful.
- Iran test fires anti-ship missiles - Jul 05, 2012
- Iran threatens Israel - Jul 02, 2012
- Iran holds air defence drills - Jul 12, 2012
- US warships in Gulf 'sitting ducks' for Iran missiles - Jul 05, 2012
- Iran to unveil 'advanced' cruise missile - Sep 09, 2012
- Iran missile programme no threat to Europe: French official - May 04, 2012
- Russia test-fires ballistic missile - Jul 28, 2011
- Iran closes border with Pakistan after incident - Jan 03, 2012
- Russia supports Iran's peaceful n-programme: Putin - Jun 07, 2012
- Iran to hold biggest naval war games - Jan 06, 2012
- Iran launches air drill - Feb 21, 2012
- Iran test-fires Shahab missiles - Sep 28, 2009
- Iran test-fires long-range missiles - Sep 28, 2009
- Iran to put monkey into space - Apr 20, 2011
- Russia test fires new ballistic missile - May 23, 2012
Tags: atomic research, deserts, elite unit, european countries, iranian news, isna, large scale, manned aircraft, military bases, missiles iran, news agency, nuclear weapons development, power generation, prophet, range ballistic missiles, revolutionary guards, ria novosti, rockets, tehran, test fires