Iran summons Swiss envoy over abductions in SyriaAugust 7th, 2012 - 8:54 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, Aug 7 (IANS) The Iranian foreign ministry Tuesday summoned the Swiss charge d’affaires in the country to protest the abduction of Iranian pilgrims in Syria, Press TV reported.
The Swiss embassy in Tehran represents US interests in Iran since Tehran and Washington severed diplomatic relations in 1980.
A total of 48 Iranian pilgrims were abducted last week by militants in Damascus.
Reza Zabib, director general of the North America Bureau of the Iranian foreign ministry, told the Swiss diplomat that Washington was responsible for the lives of the Iranian nationals kidnapped in Syria, Xinhua reported.
The US should use its influence on the opposition groups in Syria to free the abducted Iranians “without any preconditions”, Zabib said.
The Swiss official said Iran’s protest will be conveyed to the US and its response will be handed to Tehran.
- Iran summons Swiss diplomat over US assassination charge - Oct 12, 2011
- Iran summons Swiss envoy over US drone incident - Dec 09, 2011
- Iran blames CIA for Iranian nuclear official's killing - Jan 16, 2012
- 'Abducted' Iranian scientist heads home - Jul 14, 2010
- 48 Iranian pilgrims abducted in Syria - Aug 04, 2012
- Italy decides to recall its ambassador to Tehran - Dec 02, 2011
- Iranians protest anti-Islam movie - Sep 13, 2012
- Iran denies Syria captives are elite guards - Aug 06, 2012
- Iran asks Turkey, Qatar to help release pilgrims in Syria - Aug 05, 2012
- Iran demands apology from US - Oct 31, 2011
- Iran summons Afghan envoy over anti-Iran media reports - Jul 01, 2012
- Iran regrets protests at British embassy - Nov 30, 2011
- All British embassy staff leave Iran: Report - Nov 30, 2011
- Syrian rebels claim kidnapped Iranians are spies (Lead) - Aug 05, 2012
- Swiss envoy summoned over US 'abduction' of Iranian scientist - Jun 09, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,