Iran summons Egyptian envoy for not allowing aid shipJanuary 27th, 2009 - 9:29 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, Jan 27 (IANS) The Iranian foreign ministry Tuesday summoned the top Egyptian diplomat in Iran to lodge Tehran’s protest over what it said Cairo’s obstruction in getting Iranian aid to the Gaza Strip, the official news agency IRNA reported.The head of the Egyptian interest section in Iran, Amr Ahmed A. Meguid El Zayat, was told that Egypt’s rejection to give permission to the Iranian aid ship was “not justified at all”, a foreign ministry official said.
Iran alleges that Cairo has still not issued the necessary permission for an Iranian ship carrying aid for Gaza to anchor in Egyptian waters.
During the 22-day military offensive in Gaza Strip, Iran had urged Egypt to open its borders to help Palestinians collect necessary items.
According to reports, an Iranian aid ship has been waiting in the international waters close to Gaza port as well as Egyptian waters for a long time.
However, Israeli media reported that Egypt has intercepted an Iranian ship carrying arms for the Islamic Hamas movement that is currently docked in the Red Sea outside the Suez Canal.
- Israel stops aid ship from entering Gaza: Iran - Jan 14, 2009
- Israel Navy intercepts Gaza-bound aid vessels - Nov 04, 2011
- Two Iranian warships cross Suez Canal - Feb 22, 2011
- Thousands of Palestinians, aid cross Egypt's border with Gaza - Jun 12, 2010
- Egypt to continue transporting Iran oil - Jul 16, 2012
- A tough balancing act awaits Manmohan Singh in Tehran - Jul 31, 2012
- Gaza aid ship docks in el-Arish, awaits instructions - Jul 15, 2010
- Egypt court convicts 26 Hezbollah men for plotting terror attacks - Apr 28, 2010
- Egypt deports Iranian diplomat suspected of spying - May 30, 2011
- Egyptian parliamentary delegation visits Gaza - Mar 29, 2012
- Over 38,000 Egyptians return from Libya - Feb 26, 2011
- Egypt foils planned attack in Suez Canal - Mar 22, 2012
- Iranian warships heading to Mediterranean Sea - Feb 18, 2012
- Hamas hails decision to permanently open Rafah border crossing - May 27, 2011
- Syria, Iran sign naval training pact - Feb 27, 2011
Tags: amr, cairo, egyptian diplomat, gaza strip, hamas, hamas movement, interest section, international waters, iranian foreign ministry, irna, israeli media, ministry official, necessary permission, official news, red sea, suez, suez canal, summons, tehran, zayat