Iran stoning woman ‘not about to be hanged’December 29th, 2011 - 8:22 am ICT by IANS
Tehran, Dec 29 (IANS/AKI) The Iranian mother of two whose death-by-stoning sentence was suspended earlier last year does not risk being hanged, according to the justice chief of a southern Iranian province where she is imprisoned.
“Over the past few days some of my erroneously-interpreted comments have me saying how capital punishment should be applied to Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani,” the Fars news agency Wednesday quoted East Azerbaijan head magistrate Malek Ajdar Sharifi as saying.
On Sunday, the Iranian media cited Sharifi as saying that Islamic experts were re-examining the sentence to see if it is possible to hang a woman who was sentenced to die by stoning.
According to the reports he said the sentence would be carried out “as soon as the results were made public”.
Those comments prompted outcries by groups that had spoken out against the sentence for the woman who was found guilty not only of adultery, but of taking part in her husband’s murder.
Two courts in the northwestern city of Tabriz, capital of East Azarbaijan province, in 2006 sentenced Ashtiani to death by stoning. But in 2010 the sentence was suspended pending a new examination of her case.
Ashtiani is currently serving a 10-year sentence for helping her lover kill her husband.
- Iranian woman, to be stoned to death, may get hanged - Dec 26, 2011
- Son and lawyer of condemned woman tortured in Iran - Oct 29, 2010
- 'Iran says 'no final decision taken on 'stoning to death' woman's execution' - Nov 04, 2010
- Iran charges two German journalists with spying over Ashtiani case - Nov 16, 2010
- 'Iranian woman's 'stoning to death' sentence could still be quashed' - Jan 03, 2011
- Western propaganda won't prevent adulterous woman's stoning: Iran justice official - Jul 12, 2010
- Iranian 'adultress' to be executed Wednesday - Nov 02, 2010
- Iranian lawyer says he's been tortured in prison - Mar 02, 2011
- Iranian woman's stoning sentence 'still in place' - Sep 28, 2010
- Stoning of Iranian woman 'barbaric': EU - Sep 08, 2010
- Don't stone Iranian woman: Italian president - Sep 08, 2010
- Iranian 'stoning to death' widow says false sentence due to her being a woman - Aug 07, 2010
- Iranian lawyer sentenced to six years' jail - Feb 21, 2012
- Global support pours in for Iranian 'stoning to death verdict' woman - Jul 31, 2010
- Iran pressurizes convicted woman to reveal campaigners names - Jul 22, 2010
Tags: adultery, ajdar, azerbaijan, capital punishment, death by stoning, east azarbaijan, fars news agency, few days, iran stoning, iranian media, iranian province, magistrate, malek, mohammadi, northwestern city, sharifi, snb, tehran