Iran spied upon from centres in neighbouring countries: MPNovember 10th, 2011 - 10:19 am ICT by IANS
Tehran, Nov 10 (IANS) Iran is surrounded by Western “spy centres” set up near its borders with neighbouring countries, an Iranian MP has said.
Zohre Elahian, a member of the National Security and Foreign Policy Commission of the Iranian parliament, said Israel’s Mossad, America’s CIA and Britain’s MI6 have established espionage centres in the western, northern and eastern borders of Iran, Xinhua reported citing the Mehr news agency.
The spying agencies have their centres in Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Turkmenistan, and Azerbaijan near their borders with Iran, said Elahian.
He said the espionage bases are tasked with organising terrorist actions and intelligence operations against Iran and its citizens.
Iran borders Iraq and Turkey on the west, Azerbaijan, Armenia and Turkmenistan on the north, Afghanistan and Pakistan on the east. In the south lies the Persian Gulf and the Sea of Oman.
Iran has arrested a number of suspected Israeli and US spies in the country.
In 2009, Tehran detained three US hikers for illegally entering the country and on espionage charges. The woman hiker, Sarah Shourd, was freed in 2010, and two male hikers, Shane Bauer and Josh Fattal, were released in September 2011.
- CIA spy arrested in Iran? - Dec 17, 2011
- Iran to release detained US hikers - Sep 13, 2011
- Iran summons freed US woman for trial - Feb 01, 2011
- Iran sentences US hikers to eight years in jail - Aug 21, 2011
- Iranian minister calls for trial of American hikers accused of espionage - Oct 17, 2010
- US hikers freed by Iran arrive in New York - Sep 26, 2011
- Iran approves release of U.S. citizens convicted of spying - Sep 21, 2011
- American Hikers released in Iran - Sep 21, 2011
- Iran denies arrest of American woman - Jan 07, 2011
- Iranian foreign minister hopes for release of US hikers - Aug 07, 2011
- Iran agrees to release female US hiker - Sep 12, 2010
- Ahmadinejad wants US to release Iranians in return of hiker - Sep 18, 2010
- Iran begins trial of Amricans held for spying - Feb 06, 2011
- US hiker detained in Iran to be freed - Sep 10, 2010
- Muhammad Ali wants Iran to release the hikers - May 25, 2011
Tags: afghanistan pakistan, eastern borders, espionage, fattal, hikers, intelligence operations, iranian parliament, mehr news agency, mi6, mossad, neighbouring countries, north afghanistan, persian gulf, sea of oman, shane bauer, shourd, terrorist actions, west azerbaijan, western spy, xinhua