Iran, South Africa discuss shipping cooperationMay 27th, 2008 - 8:29 pm ICT by admin
Tehran, May 27, (IANS) Iran and South Africa Tuesday opened here their second meeting to find ways to enhance shipping and port cooperation, IRNA news agency reported. During the two-day meeting, experts from the two countries will study shipping and technical cooperation, ship-building, launching ports and sea structures.
“It is necessary to hold such meetings to increase the shipping activities in Iran’s sea lanes,” said Gholam-Reza Sasani, director of the Ports and Shipping Company of Iran, while briefing to reporters about the meeting.
Sasani said that South Africa has seven ports and “the talks will focus on promoting shipping and ports services and also ensuring security for the country’s shipping industry”.
Describing Iran-South Africa’s cordial relations, the official said Iran has valuable experiences of shipping, port and navigation activities which the South African side can broaden them to its navigation issues, training and management.
“Iran can also grasp the potentials and investment opportunities for private sectors in South Africa in order to expand sea transportation,” he added.
Iran and South Africa are to reach an agreement on boosting bilateral cooperation and improving security for South African ports, Sasani stated.
The second Iran-South Africa joint meeting on shipping and port cooperation will work until Wednesday.
- Iran includes three indigenous submarines in navy - Nov 29, 2011
- Iran eyes South African energy market - Mar 04, 2012
- Iran to conduct cyber-security manoeuvre - Aug 22, 2011
- India flags maritime troubles with China at meet with Japan - Nov 03, 2011
- Iran to export natural gas to India, Oman - Sep 25, 2011
- India's growing economy gives good opportunity to boost ties: Iran - Mar 11, 2012
- At least 18 dead after plane carrying 100 people crashes in northwest Iran - Jan 10, 2011
- Iran not pursuing n-arms, says Khamenei - Feb 22, 2012
- Iran, North Korea call for expanded ties - Sep 01, 2012
- Iran, Oman commanders discuss military cooperation - May 12, 2012
- India committed to ensuring safety of sea lanes: Antony - Oct 12, 2010
- Iran test-fires new missiles - Jan 01, 2012
- Iran claims being hit by second cyber attack - Apr 26, 2011
- Crew of hijacked Chinese cargo ship rescued - Apr 07, 2012
- Iranian warships heading to Mediterranean Sea - Feb 18, 2012
Tags: african ports, bilateral cooperation, cordial relations, improving security, investment opportunities, navigation activities, navigation issues, news agency, private sectors, sea lanes, sea structures, sea transportation, ship building, shipping activities, shipping company, shipping industry, shipping port, south africa, technical cooperation, tehran