Iran sends troops to SyriaMay 30th, 2012 - 4:31 am ICT by IANS
Tehran, May 30 (IANS) Iran has sent its troops to help the regime of embattled Syrian President Bashar al-Assad fight opposition forces, a senior commander of the Iranian Revolutionary Guards has said.
“Before our presence in Syria, too many people were killed by the opposition but with the physical and non-physical presence of the Islamic republic, big massacres in Syria were prevented,” said Ismail Gha’ani, deputy head of the Quds force, a branch of the Revolutionary Guards in charge of overseas operations.
Gha’ani said this in an interview with the Iranian Students’ News Agency (ISNA), RIA Novosti reported.
According to the Persian-language GozaraNews website, ISNA published the interview Sunday night but subsequently removed it from its website “under pressure”.
Syria is Iran’s most important regional ally, and Tehran has long used its neighbour’s territory as a base for operations to maintain a lifeline to militant groups Hezbollah and Hamas in Lebanon and Gaza respectively, RIA Novosti said.
Rumours that Iran has been providing military support to Assad to assist his crackdown on the uprising that has challenged his family’s 40-year grip on power, have been circulating since the protests began in March 2011.
- Ahmadinejad invited to Saudi Arabia to discuss Syria - Aug 06, 2012
- India, US to brainstorm on Syria, Iran - Aug 16, 2012
- Russia denies holding talks over Assad exit - Jun 16, 2012
- 'Terrorists may get hold of Syrian chemical weapons' - Jun 12, 2012
- Assange interviews Hezbollah chief on Russian channel - Apr 18, 2012
- Russia accuses Libya of training Syrian rebels - Mar 09, 2012
- No Russian asylum for Syrian president: Minister - Mar 21, 2012
- Canada cuts ties with Iran - Sep 08, 2012
- 'Annan to visit Iran for Syria talks' - Apr 05, 2012
- Syrian TV denies intelligence chief's murder - Aug 27, 2012
- Israel worried over Syrian missiles to Hezbollah - Mar 20, 2012
- France urges new Syria sanctions - Jun 14, 2012
- Russia to push Syria peace plan at UNSC - Sep 09, 2012
- Iran stresses support to Syria - Aug 27, 2012
- Turkish journalists released from Syria - May 13, 2012
Tags: bashar al assad, deputy head, gha, hamas, hezbollah, iranian revolutionary guards, iranian students, ismail, isna, lifeline, massacres, militant groups, military support, overseas operations, persian language, physical presence, president bashar, ria novosti, students news, syrian president bashar al