Iran seeks Russian support over N-programmeApril 13th, 2010 - 4:16 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, April 13 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Iranian Atomic Energy Organisation chief Ali Akbar Salehi has said Iran is counting on Russia to remain neutral regarding the UN Security Council’s possible adoption of new sanctions over the country’s nuclear programme.
Russia’s support on the issue will “remain in the memory of the Iranian people”, Salehi said in an interview with Russian newspaper Vremya Novostei, published Tuesday.
The US and other Western countries suspect Iran of developing nuclear weapons under the cover of a peaceful nuclear energy programme and are seeking new sanctions after Iran’s move to enrich uranium to 20 percent.
Russia has consistently said the dispute should be resolved through diplomatic means, but has increasingly expressed a willingness to consider sanctions.
President Dmitry Medvedev said last week that Iran’s intransigence could force the Security Council to look at the issue.
“Unfortunately, Tehran is not responding to a number of constructive compromise proposals and we cannot close our eyes to this. Therefore, I do not rule out that the Security Council will have to revisit this issue,” Medvedev said at a joint news conference with Barack Obama after the signing of a new arms reduction treaty in Prague.
- Russia warns against unilateral sanctions on Iran - Jun 14, 2012
- Iran says can produce nuclear fuel - Jan 08, 2011
- Russia seeks compromise on Iran sanctions - Mar 06, 2012
- EU accepts Iran talks offer - Mar 06, 2012
- European parliament urges Russia, China to back Iran sanctions - Feb 03, 2012
- Russia supports Iran's peaceful n-programme: Putin - Jun 07, 2012
- Russia to persuade Iran, North Korea for talks - Mar 28, 2012
- Iran sanctions issue practical: Russia - Apr 08, 2010
- Iran's n-plant to reach full capacity in February - Jan 08, 2012
- Moscow urges Iran to respond to IAEA concerns - Feb 27, 2012
- Israel to use all means to stop Iran's nuclear programme - Feb 16, 2012
- US sanctions on Iran threaten ties with Russia - Aug 14, 2012
- Ahmadinejad urges Russia to rethink support for UN sanctions - May 26, 2010
- Iran accuses US of pressuring IAEA - Nov 06, 2011
- Iranian leader threatens to increase uranium enrichment - Jul 23, 2012
Tags: ali akbar, atomic energy, barack obama, compromise proposals, dg, dmitry medvedev, intransigence, iranian, news conference, nuclear energy, nuclear weapons, ria novosti, russian support, salehi, sanctions, snb, tehran, un security council, western countries, willingness