Iran rejects Obama offer until it sees real changeMarch 21st, 2009 - 3:26 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, March 21 (DPA) Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei Saturday rejected an offer by US President Barack Obama to open a new era in relations until Tehran could see real changes in US policies.
“The new US president sends us a Persian New Year greeting message but in the same accuses us again to support terrorism and to be after nuclear weapons,” the supreme leader said in a televised speech in the city of Mashad in northeastern Iran.
“He offers us his hand with a velvet glove under which, however, might be a cast-iron hand,” Khamenei added.
“We will not accept any offer for negotiations which goes together with force … we will see and if you (President Obama) really change, then we will change as well. But the aims and not just the tactics should be changed,” Khameinei added.
The cleric, in line with Iran’s constitution, has the final say on all state affairs.
Obama, in a video message on the occasion of the Persian New Year, said Friday the US was committed to engagement, not threats, in its pursuit of diplomacy.
The US president said it could not be a one-sided effort, suggesting the people of Iran also “have a choice” about whether they take their “rightful place in the community of nations”.
“That place cannot be reached through terror or arms but rather through peaceful actions that demonstrate the true greatness of the Iranian people and civilisation,” Obama said, in a video message broadcast by the Voice of America’s Persian News Network.
- Iran rejects Obama's offer until real change observed (Lead) - Mar 21, 2009
- Obama not trustworthy despite new year message: Khamenei - Mar 22, 2010
- Obama's secret message: Iran can have civilian n-programme - Apr 07, 2012
- US under illusion that sanctions are affecting Iran: Khamenei - Mar 09, 2012
- Iranian supreme leader criticises US support for Israel - Oct 02, 2011
- Iran hails Iraq's 'growing influence' - Apr 24, 2012
- Iranian leader asks Muslims to remain vigilant - Aug 19, 2012
- Sanctions benefited Iran, says Khamenei - Feb 03, 2012
- Iran to disclose documents on US as 'terrorism sponsor' - Nov 03, 2011
- Iran asks US to change approach before talks - Aug 19, 2010
- Khamenei supercedes Ahmadinejad over minister's resignation (Lead) - Apr 18, 2011
- Ayatollah Khamenei blames US, Israel for anti-Islam movie - Sep 14, 2012
- Iran's supreme leader backs Kashmir 'struggle' (Lead) - Nov 19, 2010
- Iran not pursuing n-arms, says Khamenei - Feb 22, 2012
- Iran to 'powerfully' respond to a US attack - Nov 10, 2011
Tags: ali khamenei, ayatollah ali khamenei, barack obama, cleric, iron hand, mashad, new year greeting, new year greeting message, northeastern iran, nuclear weapons, peaceful actions, persian new year, persian news, state affairs, supreme leader ayatollah, supreme leader ayatollah ali khamenei, true greatness, velvet glove, video message, voice of america