Iran questions upcoming n-talks ‘with no agenda’June 7th, 2012 - 9:22 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, June 7 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Iran has said the EU’s failure to arrange experts’ meeting for drafting an agenda about the nuclear talks has created an atmosphere of doubt and ambiguity.
On Wednesday, Tehran said the failure to draft an agenda for the upcoming nuclear talks in Moscow was not conducive to their success, IRNA news agency reported.
Western nations and Israel want to persuade Iran to give up its uranium enrichment programme, which they suspect is aimed at producing nuclear weapons. Iran says its nuclear programme is merely designed to generate energy.
Iran’s Secretary of Supreme National Security Council Saeed Jalili wrote to EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton Wednesday, saying that the EU’s failure to arrange experts’ meeting to draft an agenda for the talks created an atmosphere of doubt and ambiguity for the Moscow talks.
Russia is hosting the third round of talks on Iran’s nuclear programme June 18-19.
“The Islamic Republic of Iran… wants to advance the nuclear talks,” Jalili said, adding that talks just for the sake of talks “are not useful” and expressed hope that an agenda could still be drafted.
The US has warned of tightening sanctions against Iran if the Moscow negotiations fail to make progress on Iran’s nuclear programme.
“If we don’t get a breakthrough in Moscow there is no question we will continue to ratchet up the pressure,” David Cohen, US treasury undersecretary for terrorism and financial intelligence, said.
“The sanctions are having an impact on Iran, but I also recognise that more needs to be done. And we are intent on doing more.”
The previous round of six-nation talks with Iran was held in Baghdad May 23-24.
- Russia warns against unilateral sanctions on Iran - Jun 14, 2012
- Istanbul to host next Iran n-talks - Jun 20, 2012
- Iran talks resume in Baghdad - May 24, 2012
- EU accepts Iran talks offer - Mar 06, 2012
- European parliament urges Russia, China to back Iran sanctions - Feb 03, 2012
- US hegemony should end: Iran official - Sep 20, 2011
- Putin to hold talks with Ahmadinejad - Jun 03, 2012
- Turkey, Brazil may join Iran nuclear talks - Jul 29, 2010
- Iran enriches 100 kg of Uranium to 20 percent (Lead) - Feb 20, 2012
- IAEA inspectors barred from Iranian military site (Lead) - Feb 22, 2012
- Iran's n-plant to reach full capacity in February - Jan 08, 2012
- 'EU sanctions on Iran may push oil prices to $150' - Jan 30, 2012
- Iran denies Greece 500,000 barrels of oil - Feb 26, 2012
- Iran to file complaint against US, EU over sanctions - Jul 30, 2012
- Russia rules out Iran sanctions - Feb 16, 2012
Tags: ambiguity, david cohen, enrichment programme, financial intelligence, hellip, islamic republic of iran, jalili, nation talks, national security council, nuclear talks, nuclear weapons, policy chief, republic of iran, ria novosti, saeed, sanctions against iran, supreme national security council, talks with iran, uranium enrichment, us treasury