Iran protests EU stance on polls, summons Czech diplomatJune 17th, 2009 - 12:14 am ICT by IANS
Prague, June 16 (DPA) Iran summoned a senior Czech diplomat Tuesday over the European Union’s (EU) critical statements about the disputed Iranian presidential election, the Czech foreign ministry said.
“I can confirm that our charge d’affaires Josef Havlas was today (Tuesday) summoned to the foreign ministry in Teheran,” ministry spokesman Jiri Benes told DPA.
“The Iranian side expressed its concern about EU’s stance after the election,” he said. The Czech Republic chairs the EU until June 30.
Violent street protests and accusations of election fraud have shaken Iran after authorities said that incumbent President Mahmoud Ahmedinejad won re-election in the polls last week.
The Czech EU presidency Sunday expressed concerns about “alleged irregularities during the election process and post-election violence”, while EU’s foreign ministers Monday called for an investigation into fraud allegations.
Tehran summoned the Czech diplomat in protest against the “interventionist and insulting” Western and EU statements on the election, the Iranian news agency ISNA reported, citing a statement from Iran’s foreign ministry.
- Iran summons Swiss envoy over abductions in Syria - Aug 07, 2012
- Iran summons Swiss diplomat over US assassination charge - Oct 12, 2011
- Italy decides to recall its ambassador to Tehran - Dec 02, 2011
- Iran summons Afghan envoy over anti-Iran media reports - Jul 01, 2012
- EU concerned about post-election violence in Iran - Jun 14, 2009
- Iran summons Swiss envoy over US drone incident - Dec 09, 2011
- Iranian president calls up Manmohan Singh - May 18, 2012
- Iran regrets protests at British embassy - Nov 30, 2011
- Pakistan summons US envoy over drone strikes - Jun 05, 2012
- EU rejects Iranian accusations, condemns violence - Jun 23, 2009
- All British embassy staff leave Iran: Report - Nov 30, 2011
- Russia's chief investigator dismisses fraud charges - Jul 28, 2012
- Iran condemns new EU sanctions - Jul 27, 2010
- EU imposes new sanctions on 180 Iranian firms - Dec 02, 2011
- Iran passes bill to reduce ties with Britain - Nov 27, 2011
Tags: accusations, benes, critical statements, czech diplomat, dpa, election fraud, election violence, eu presidency, foreign ministers, foreign ministry, fraud allegations, incumbent president, iranian news, iranian presidential election, iranian side, irregularities, mahmoud ahmedinejad, ministry spokesman, teheran, violent street protests