Iran prepares to strike back if attacked (Lead)February 5th, 2012 - 11:08 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, Feb 5 (IANS) Iran would strike back at any location from where attacks against it were mounted and was preparing itself against western plans aimed at mounting pressure on it, Fars news agency reported Sunday.
“Any location which is used by the enemy for raids against the Islamic republic will be targeted by the IRGC forces,” Xinhua quoted Fars news agency citing Hossein Salami, the deputy head of Iran’s Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC).
Salami made the remarks during IRGC’s military drills near Iran’s southern waters.
On Saturday, the IRGC announced that the country started “Hamiane Velayat” (supporters of Velayat) military drills in southern Iran. There were, however, no reports on the exact location and duration of the drill.
Iran’s Foreign Minister Ali-Akbar Salehi has also said that Tehran is preparing itself to counter all western plans aimed at mounting pressure on the country, the Press TV reported Sunday.
“Tehran is examining even the worst-case scenarios and preparing itself to counteract them,” Salehi was quoted as saying.
Iran has, however, said that its exercises in the southern waters or near the area are aimed at maintaining readiness to confront threats in the Persian Gulf, the Sea of Oman and the Strait of Hormuz, an important route for oil exports.
Tehran has threatened to close the strait if it couldn’t sell its oil in the face of Western sanctions on the oil exports.
- Iran to strike back if attacked - Feb 05, 2012
- Iran holds military drill - Feb 04, 2012
- Iranian troops begin military drill - Jan 08, 2012
- Iran's IRGC begins new military drill (Lead) - Feb 20, 2012
- Iran to hold another military drill - Jan 04, 2012
- Iran warns US battleship to keep out of Gulf - Jan 03, 2012
- Iran to hold military exercise in Persian Gulf Thursday - Apr 22, 2010
- Iran test-fires new missiles - Jan 01, 2012
- Pentagon warns Iran against blocking oil route - Dec 29, 2011
- Iran to hold biggest naval war games - Jan 06, 2012
- Iran building its second naval destroyer - Dec 26, 2011
- Iran begins 'Holy Prophet 5' war games - Apr 22, 2010
- 'Iran won't give in to western pressure' - Feb 12, 2012
- Iran launches air drill - Feb 21, 2012
- Iran launches biggest air defence drill - Nov 16, 2010
Tags: ali akbar, deputy head, exact location, foreign minister, irgc, islamic republic, islamic revolution, military drills, news agency, oil exports, persian gulf, salami, salehi, sea of oman, southern iran, southern waters, tehran, western sanctions, worst case scenarios, xinhua