Iran plans manned spaceflight by 2021February 12th, 2009 - 5:15 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, Feb 12 (RIA Novosti) Iran would send its first man into space on board its own spacecraft by 2021, the head of Iran’s Aerospace Agency announced Thursday.
“Scientific research has already begun in Iran,” Reza Tagipur was quoted by Iranian media as saying. “According to our plans, a successful Iranian manned spaceflight will be carried out before 2021.”
“India and China were able to send their astronauts into space after 15 years of research and preparations. We will also go the same route, but believe we will achieve our goal in a shorter period,” he said.
Iran put its first communications satellite, Omid (Hope), into a low Earth orbit Feb 2. The research satellite, which contains communications and digital equipment, was carried into orbit by a domestically made launch vehicle, Safir (Messenger).
With the February launch, Iran became the eighth country in the world able to independently put satellites into space, after Russia, the US, France, China, India, Japan, and Israel.
The US, France, Israel and Britain have already expressed concern over the launch, voicing suspicions that Tehran may be developing long-range ballistic missile technology that could be used to launch nuclear weapons. Iran insists that its space programme is entirely peaceful.
- Iran to launch three new satellites - Nov 13, 2011
- Iran launches its first domestic satellite - Feb 03, 2009
- Iran begins project for manned space flight by 2021 - Feb 12, 2009
- Iran mulls base to launch bigger satellites - Feb 11, 2012
- Iran to launch first domestic satellite by March - Jan 29, 2009
- Iran to launch new generation of satellites - Feb 06, 2012
- Iran plans to send satellite in high Earth orbit - Feb 08, 2009
- Iran tests new satellite rocket - Feb 03, 2010
- Iran ready to send six satellites into space - May 09, 2010
- Iran tests new satellite rocket (Lead) - Feb 03, 2010
- Iran to launch communications satellites - May 23, 2010
- Iran launches satellite - Feb 03, 2012
- China launches meteorological satellite - Jan 13, 2012
- Iran to set up space launch base - Feb 04, 2012
- Iran to put monkey into space - Apr 20, 2011
Tags: aerospace, astronauts, communications satellite, feb 2, first communications, first man into space, iranian media, launch vehicle, low earth orbit, missile technology, nuclear weapons, omid, range ballistic missile, research satellite, reza, ria novosti, spacecraft, suspicions, tehran, us france