Iran overturns death sentence for CIA ’spy’March 6th, 2012 - 12:35 am ICT by IANS
Tehran, March 5 (IANS) The Iranian Supreme Court has overturned the death penalty given to an Iranian-American CIA “spy” by a lower court, an official said Monday.
“The case of the defendant was sent to the Supreme Court after his appeal, and finally the (death) sentence was overturned… So the (case) was returned” to the court for retrial,” prosecutor general and judiciary spokesman Gholam-Hossein Mohseni-Ejei said.
In January, a lower court sentenced Amir Hekmati to death over charges of “cooperating with the US, membership in the CIA and attempt to accuse Iran of terrorism,” Xinhua reported quoting the semi-official Fars news agency.
In court, Hekmati confessed that he intended to penetrate Iran’s intelligence apparatus to help the CIA (Central Investigation Agency).
On Dec 17, 2011, the intelligence ministry announced his arrest. A US government official on Dec 20 denied that the arrested US citizen is a spy.
- Iran summons freed US woman for trial - Feb 01, 2011
- Iran central bank deputy head held for embezzlement - Oct 30, 2011
- Iran sentences CIA 'spy' to death - Jan 09, 2012
- Iran arrests 19 for bank fraud - Sep 20, 2011
- US condemns Iran death verdict to 'CIA spy' - Jan 10, 2012
- Iranian woman could still be 'stoned to death' for adultery, murder, says Chief prosecutor - Sep 29, 2010
- Iranian 'death by stoning' woman's son reported missing - Oct 13, 2010
- 31 held in Iran for embezzlement - Oct 26, 2011
- Iran holds first trial of 'CIA agent' - Dec 29, 2011
- "Israel plotted Ahmadinejad killing", claims Teheran's intelligence chief - Jul 18, 2009
- One protester dies in Iran clashes, opposition leader detained (Second Lead) - Feb 15, 2011
- Four Iranians get death for $2.3 bn bank fraud - Jul 31, 2012
- 50 indicted in Iran's biggest ever banking scam - Nov 28, 2011
- Iran summons freed U.S. hiker Sara Shourd for trial - Feb 01, 2011
- Two foreigners arrested in Iran - Oct 12, 2010
Tags: american cia, central investigation agency, cia, cia spy, citizen, death penalty, death sentence, defendant, government official, intelligence ministry, iranian, judiciary, news agency, prosecutor general, retrial, semi official, spokesman, tehran, us government, xinhua