Iran, Oman commanders discuss military cooperationMay 12th, 2012 - 11:33 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, May 12 (IANS) Iran and Omani military officialsSaturday held talks here on military cooperations during the 10th meeting of their joint military committee, reports said.
The meeting is jointly chaired by Iranian Deputy Chief of Staff of Armed Forces for Operational Affairs Brigadier General Mostafa Salami and his Omani counterpart Rashed Bin Seif Bin Al-Rashidi, reported Xinhua, citing the semi-official ISNA news agency.
The two sides are expected to discuss ways to expand regional and cross-regional relations to improve mutual cooperation in different fields including protection of sea borders, said the report.
In February 2011, Iran and Oman held second joint naval relief and rescue drill in the north of Omani Sultan Qaboos Port.
Four Omani vessels, two fighter planes and one coastal helicopter, as well as four Iranian surface vessels participated in the joint drill.
The naval drill was aimed at enhancing readiness of relief services and rescue operations, and raising the level of regional cooperation and exchanging experience.
In December 2010, Iran and Omani armed forces held joint rescue drill off the coast of the Persian Gulf.
Iran and Oman have agreed to carry out joint drills every year.
- Iran includes three indigenous submarines in navy - Nov 29, 2011
- Iran warns US battleship to keep out of Gulf - Jan 03, 2012
- Iran praises 'humanitarian' US navy - Jan 08, 2012
- Oman to allow temple, gurdwara - Nov 24, 2010
- China, Russia hold joint naval exercise - Apr 22, 2012
- Iran to unveil 'advanced' cruise missile - Sep 09, 2012
- India, Oman discuss maritime security, terrorism - May 18, 2010
- Antony meets Indian diaspora in Omam - May 18, 2010
- Iran prepares to strike back if attacked (Lead) - Feb 05, 2012
- Iran to strike back if attacked - Feb 05, 2012
- Crew of hijacked Chinese cargo ship rescued - Apr 07, 2012
- Iran to export natural gas to India, Oman - Sep 25, 2011
- Iran test-fires new missiles - Jan 01, 2012
- Iran tests artillery firepower in navy drills - Dec 31, 2011
- US warships in Gulf 'sitting ducks' for Iran missiles - Jul 05, 2012
Tags: brigadier general, committee reports, cooperations, deputy chief of staff, fighter planes, military committee, military cooperation, mostafa, mutual cooperation, persian gulf, rashidi, regional cooperation, regional relations, rescue operations, salami, sea borders, semi official, sultan qaboos, surface vessels, xinhua