Iran includes three indigenous submarines in navyNovember 29th, 2011 - 4:37 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, Nov 29 (IANS) Three domestically-built submarines, which can work at shallow depths and conduct prolonged coastal missions, have been included in Iran’s naval fleet, a top defence official has announced.
Deputy commander of the navy, Rear Admiral Gholam-Reza Khadem-Bigham said the 120-tonne Ghadir-class submarines were capable of launching torpedoes, operating in shallow waters and precise targeting, Xinhua reported citing the state-run Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting (IRIB) TV.
The vessels were delivered to the navy Sunday in the southern port city of Bandar Abbas.
The Ghadir was first unveiled by Iran in 2007. The Iranian fleet currently has 11 Ghadir submarines in service, according to IRIB.
Navy commander Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari said the country also plans to hold a major naval war game in international waters.
The war game, to be held in the Sea of Oman and north of the Indian Ocean in the near future, will differ from the previous ones in terms of the vastness of the area of action and military equipment and tactics that would be employed in the manoeuvre, he said.
Iran has already held a number of war games in the Persian Gulf and the Strait of Hormuz in the face of threats from western countries.
In recent years, the Iranian navy has dispatched a number of warships to international waters and has invited regional states to hold joint war games in regional waters.
- Iran adds two submarines to naval fleet - Feb 11, 2012
- Iran building its second naval destroyer - Dec 26, 2011
- Iran launches 10-day naval exercise - Dec 24, 2011
- Iran monitors US warships movement in Persian Gulf: Navy chief - Sep 05, 2012
- Pentagon warns Iran against blocking oil route - Dec 29, 2011
- Iran test-fires new missiles - Jan 01, 2012
- Iran to hold another military drill - Jan 04, 2012
- Iran to hold naval drills in international waters - Nov 26, 2011
- Iran to fire homemade missiles during navy drills - Dec 31, 2011
- Iran denies launching missile in Persian Gulf - Jan 01, 2012
- Syria, Iran sign naval training pact - Feb 27, 2011
- Iranian warships heading to Mediterranean Sea - Feb 18, 2012
- China, Russia conclude joint naval drill - Apr 27, 2012
- Iran tests anti-submarine torpedo - May 09, 2010
- US: 'Iran preparing suicide bomb boats' - Feb 13, 2012
Tags: bandar abbas, bigham, class submarines, coastal missions, international waters, iranian navy, irib tv, islamic republic of iran, islamic republic of iran broadcasting, naval fleet, navy commander, persian gulf, rear admiral, regional states, regional waters, republic of iran, sea of oman, shallow depths, strait of hormuz, war game