Iran, IAEA to hold talks in MayApril 28th, 2012 - 7:34 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, April 28 (IANS) Iran’s permanent representative to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has said Tehran and the UN nuclear watchdog have agreed to hold a new round of talks on the nuclear issue May 13-14, the IRNA news agency reported.
Ali-Asghar Soltanieh said the talks with the IAEA will encompass setting a framework and modality for responding to some questions relevant to Iran’s nuclear activities.
He said the talks will be held in Iran’s permanent representative office in Vienna.
The remarks came after the latest round of nuclear talks between Iran and six world powers - Britain, China, France, Russia, the US plus Germany (P5+1) - concluded in Istanbul earlier this month. All sides described the talks as positive and agreed to meet again in Baghdad May 23, said Xinhua.
In March, IAEA head Yukiya Amano said Iran has stepped up its nuclear enrichment activities, as its monthly production of 20-percent purity uranium tripled since November 2011.
Speaking at the quarterly meeting of the IAEA board, Amano said the IAEA had “serious concerns” that Iran’s enrichment activities might relate to the development of nuclear weapons.
Amano also expressed concern over Iran’s repeated refusal to allow inspectors into the Parchin military site, in which simulated nuclear warhead tests allegedly took place, the report said.
Soltanieh said access to Parchin would only be granted if both sides agree on certain conditions. He, however, did not elaborate.
- Iran to allow IAEA to visit its military base - Mar 06, 2012
- Iran invites IAEA inspectors to visit n-sites - Dec 22, 2011
- No progress in n-inspection talks with Iran: IAEA - Jun 09, 2012
- Iran ready for nuclear talks with G5+1, but no compromise on nuke programme - Apr 13, 2011
- Iran produces 70 kg high-grade enriched uranium - Oct 18, 2011
- Enter dialogues 'without pre-condition', Iran urged - Mar 08, 2012
- 'IAEA resolution not to stop Iran's nuclear programme' - Nov 20, 2011
- IAEA inspectors barred from Iranian military site (Lead) - Feb 22, 2012
- IAEA to meet Iran over access to n-site - Jun 04, 2012
- IAEA demands access to Iranian military site - Sep 10, 2012
- No agreement reached with Iran over nuclear issue: IAEA chief - Feb 22, 2012
- Iran to speed up uranium enrichment - Jun 13, 2011
- Iran not pursuing n-arms, says Khamenei - Feb 22, 2012
- Iran's talk with IAEA constructive: Iranian envoy - Aug 25, 2012
- IAEA's Iran report draws global concern, calls for sanctions - Feb 19, 2010
Tags: ali asghar, amano, atomic energy agency, development of nuclear weapons, enrichment activities, international atomic energy, international atomic energy agency, international atomic energy agency iaea, irna news agency, modality, nuclear activities, nuclear enrichment, nuclear issue, nuclear talks, nuclear warhead, p5, representative office, serious concerns, watchdog, xinhua