‘Iran has right to peaceful uses of nuclear energy’April 9th, 2009 - 11:14 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 9 (IANS) Welcoming US’ pledge to cut its nuclear arsenals, Kazakhstan President Nursultan Nazarbayev has said Iran too has full rights to the peaceful uses of atomic energy.
Nazarbayev welcomed the statement by US President Barack Obama seeking a world without nuclear weapons and that Washington was ready for a dialogue with Iran based on mutual interests and mutual respect, according to a statement by the Kazakh embassy here Thursday.
“We have always thought this (dialogue) is the best solution to the situation (with Iran),” Nazarbayev said, adding Kazakhstan has always stood for peace in the region.
“President Nazarbayev noted that Iran, like other countries, has the full right to use atomic energy for peaceful purposes,” the statement said.
Nazarbayev has expressed willingness to host an international nuclear fuel bank in Kazakhstan..
“If a nuclear fuel bank is created, we could consider hosting it here, in a country which has signed the Nuclear Non-proliferation Treaty and voluntarily renounced nuclear weapons.”
The idea of an international fuel bank under the auspices of IAEA, supported by the US administration, provides for creating a global repository which would allow countries to tap into their reserves to fuel their nuclear plants without the need to develop their own nuclear enrichment capability.
- Russia, Kazakhstan extend Friendship Treaty for 10 years - Jun 08, 2012
- Kazakhstan interested in buying Indian nuclear reactors - Apr 15, 2011
- Cultural affinity between India, Kazakhstan: PM - Apr 16, 2011
- Indo-Kazakh ties to strengthen with peaceful uses of nuclear energy: PM - Apr 15, 2011
- India, Kazakhstan sign seven strategic deals - Apr 16, 2011
- Kazakhstan wants India to build small n-reactors - Apr 15, 2011
- India, Kazakhstan express firm commitment to consolidate strategic partnership - Apr 16, 2011
- Kazakhs in Delhi can vote for Sunday's Kazakhstan polls - Jan 13, 2012
- Kazakhstan approves early presidential election - Feb 03, 2011
- France proposes new sanctions against Iran - Nov 22, 2011
- Iran unveils nuclear achievements, cuts oil exports (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Krishna to visit Kazakhstan Tuesday - May 07, 2010
- Manmohan Singh welcomes Kazakhstan agreements - Apr 16, 2011
- India to work with Kazakhstan in bringing peace, development - Apr 16, 2011
- Kazakh border chief resigns over massacre - Jun 14, 2012
Tags: atomic energy, barack obama, best solution, global repository, international fuel, kazakh embassy, mutual interests, mutual respect, non proliferation treaty, nuclear arsenals, nuclear enrichment, nuclear fuel, nuclear non proliferation treaty, nuclear plants, nuclear weapons, nursultan nazarbayev, peaceful purposes, peaceful uses of nuclear energy, president nursultan nazarbayev, uses of nuclear energy