Iran has crossed n-bomb threshold: Israeli military intelligenceMarch 26th, 2009 - 11:44 am ICT by IANS
Tel Aviv, March 26 (DPA) Iran has “crossed the technological threshold” for making an atom bomb, Israeli Military Intelligence Chief Amos Yadlin has said.
Achieving military nuclear capability was now “mainly dependent on a political decision by Iran” to actually do so, Israeli media quoted Yadlin as telling an Israeli parliamentary committee dealing with security.
Yadlin added that, at this point, it was not in Tehran’s interest to do so, because it did not want to be accused of breaking its obligations under the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, to which it is a signatory.
“The right combination of talks and sanctions, the carrot and the stick,” he said, could therefore still be effective in stopping Iran from producing a nuclear weapon.
The “battle to prevent a nuclear Iran is not yet lost”, Yadlin said Wednesday.
He said Tehran’s strategy was to work slowly and advance towards the capability to produce nuclear weapons in stages, but to stop short of actually making one, so as not to be accused of breaking its obligations or bring upon itself more punitive measures.
This way it was maintaining the capability to build a bomb quickly once the decision to do so has been made, he said in the briefing to the Foreign Affairs and Defence Committee of the Knesset, Israel’s parliament.
The main difficulty still faced by Iran was transferring the material to long-range missiles, which has already been developed, Yadlin said.
- 'Peace accord with Palestinians more urgent for Israel than Iran attack' - Sep 11, 2012
- Wikileaks expose: Saudi Arabia urges US attack on Iran - Nov 29, 2010
- Israel leaders misleading public on Iran: Ex-security chief - Apr 28, 2012
- Israel 'plans attack on Tehran within months' - Feb 04, 2012
- India preparing to fight limited conflict with China: US official (Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
- Iran hangs assassin of nuclear physicist - May 15, 2012
- Israel's Stuxnet Worm tests delay, not destroy Iran's nuke plans - Jan 16, 2011
- US, Britain planning to attack Iran: Report - Nov 03, 2011
- Iran nuclear-programme could start cold war: Hague - Feb 18, 2012
- There's still time and space for diplomacy on Iran: US - Aug 14, 2012
- Clinton urges world powers to continue tightening sanctions against Iran over nuke program - Jan 10, 2011
- EU condemns attacks on Israeli diplomats - Feb 14, 2012
- We can't wait long for diplomacy to work: Israel PM - Mar 06, 2012
- Panetta vows military action against Iran - Mar 07, 2012
- Israel threatens 'military action' against Iran if it disobeys sanctions on nuke programme - Mar 19, 2011
Tags: atom bomb, chief amos, defence committee, foreign affairs, israeli media, israeli parliamentary committee, knesset israel, military intelligence chief, non proliferation treaty, nuclear capability, nuclear non proliferation, nuclear non proliferation treaty, nuclear weapon, nuclear weapons, political decision, punitive measures, range missiles, right combination, signatory, tehran