Iran hails NAM states’ support for its nuclear driveJuly 31st, 2008 - 9:43 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, July 31 (IANS) Iran has praised the member countries of the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) for backing its nuclear programme which is for “peaceful” purpose, the official IRNA news agency reported Thursday. “The NAM’s support for Tehran peaceful nuclear programme was a highly valuable step,” Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki said Wednesday in his closing address to the 15th ministerial conference of the NAM here.
The two-day event, held July 29-30, ended with the release of the final statement and two documents on Iran’s peaceful nuclear activities and the need for solving the Zimbabwean crisis.
“The document is a clear sign for other countries” to recongnise the nuclear drive of the Islamic country, Mottaki said.
He stressed that the support by the 118-nation grouping indicated that “more than 60 percent of the UN member countries” had been backing the countries nuclear programme.
There is no point in suspecting the Islamic country’s endeavour by some world powers, the minister said, referring the US opposition to the Iranian nuclear programme.
The West, especially the US, believes that Iran is producing weapon under the cover of nuclear programme. But Iran insists its nuclear programme is meant for generating electricity and has no military purpose.
- Iran vows to react swiftly to any Israeli attack - Aug 19, 2012
- NAM summit opens in Tehran - Aug 30, 2012
- Amid sanctions pressure, Iran to pitch for expanded India ties - May 30, 2012
- Ahmadinejad invites Morsi to non-aligned meet in Iran - Jul 06, 2012
- Expert-level NAM meeting kicks off in Tehran - Aug 26, 2012
- Iran not hankering after n-weapons: Ayatollah Khamenei (Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
- Iranian parliamentary delegation in Syria for talks - Aug 26, 2012
- Not hankering after n-weapons, says Iran (Second Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
- PM heads to Tehran for NAM summit, Iran ties in focus (Lead) - Aug 25, 2012
- Iranian, Egyptian presidents discuss NAM objectives, region - Aug 30, 2012
- Russia warns against unilateral sanctions on Iran - Jun 14, 2012
- Manmohan Singh leaves for Tehran (Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
- Indian PM arrives in Tehran (Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
- US using IAEA as a tool: Iran - Nov 07, 2011
- Iran ready to expand ties with North Korea - Aug 28, 2012
Tags: endeavour, foreign minister, generating electricity, iran, islamic country, manouchehr mottaki, member countries, military purpose, ministerial conference, nam, news agency, non aligned movement, nuclear drive, opposition, peaceful nuclear activities, peaceful purpose, tehran