Iran, EU agree on formula for nuclear talksApril 13th, 2009 - 6:08 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, April 13 (DPA) Iran and the European Union (EU) agreed to resume talks over Iran’s controversial nuclear programme, state television network IRIB reported Monday.
During a telephone conversation between Iran’s chief nuclear negotiator Saaed Jalili and EU foreign policy chief Javier Solana, the two sides agreed to pursue talks between Tehran and the so-called 5+1 group.
The group consists of the five UN Security Council members - Britain, China, France, Russia and the US - plus Germany.
The IRIB report did not disclose the date or venue of the new round of negotiations, in which the US has agreed, unlike in the past, years, to take part directly.
Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad Thursday declared his readiness to join nuclear talks with the US, but once again rejected the main demand by the 5+1 group to suspend uranium enrichment.
Ahmadinejad said Iran would not make any concessions on its nuclear rights, saying as it has followed Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty and International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) regulations.
The Iranian president however reacted positively to the call by US President Barack Obama, for a world without nuclear weapons and an immediate end to nuclear testing, saying that Tehran would even be ready to do its share.
Iran’s Atomic Energy Organisation claimed last week that the country had added 1,000 more nuclear centrifuges to its uranium enrichment plant in Natanz, central Iran, about 1,500 more than UN nuclear watchdog the IAEA reported just six weeks ago.
- Iran unveils latest nuclear achievements (Second Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Istanbul to host next Iran n-talks - Jun 20, 2012
- Iran starts enriching uranium to 20 percent - Jan 10, 2012
- US dismisses Iran's nuke achievements - Feb 16, 2012
- Iran uses new machines to enrich uranium: IAEA - Aug 10, 2010
- Iran's Chief Negotiator say nuclear talks will advance only through 'common logic' - Jan 23, 2011
- EU accepts Iran talks offer - Mar 06, 2012
- Iran talks resume in Baghdad - May 24, 2012
- Iran willing to talk about nuclear programme: EU - Oct 30, 2010
- European parliament urges Russia, China to back Iran sanctions - Feb 03, 2012
- Iran enriches 100 kg of Uranium to 20 percent (Lead) - Feb 20, 2012
- Won't give up nuclear rights: Iran - Apr 12, 2012
- Iran, IAEA to hold talks in May - Apr 28, 2012
- US condemns Iran's decision to start uranium enrichment - Jan 11, 2012
- IAEA to meet Iran over access to n-site - Jun 04, 2012
Tags: atomic energy agency, barack obama, central iran, chief nuclear negotiator, international atomic energy, international atomic energy agency, international atomic energy agency iaea, iranian president mahmoud, iranian president mahmoud ahmadinejad, irib, jalili, mahmoud ahmadinejad, natanz, non proliferation treaty, nuclear centrifuges, nuclear non proliferation treaty, president mahmoud ahmadinejad, security council members, un security council members, uranium enrichment plant